All about Insects 2017

Better late than never, I'm just starting this off with this little beetle that came in from the cold recently, I don't know what it is yet

I think it may have been injured when I scraped it off my neck!!

THIS is a link to old thread.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Nice Tony.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• James G said:
    Very nice Hazel, two from me today on the Canal.

Lovely photos James & btw the second one is a Speckled wood.

I love the colours in your Brimstone photo TJ, I waited ages for my Painted Lady to settle on a nice flower instead of the soil! I saw another 2 yesterday so hopefully they'll soon be in the UK.

Best wishes

• Not sure why I called it a Meadow Brown Hazel, I have not seen a Speckled Wood yet this year.

EDIT

I think my head has left me! what am I on about hahaha

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• A few from the other day, this long-horned beetle, Clytus arietus was basking on the garden table, not ideal for photos really,

We did a little walk down by a spot of water & got a few damsels, Large Red Damselfly,

a Blue-tailed Damselfly (Common Bluetail)

& Beautiful Demoiselle

A couple of Brown Argus, well they look like a couple anyway,

& this little beetle that I haven't identified yet, but haven't looked either!

Has our weather finally turned the corner?

EDIT Just looked at my old photos & I think the beetle is some kind of Gland Weevil (Curculio sp)

Best wishes

• Very nice Hazel, sadly I have never seen a Demoiselle :(

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Nice collection, Hazel.

Yesterday it was warm and sunny and I think I can safely say the Odonata season has arrived here too. Lots of damselflies around although I've yet to see any of the big guys.

Male Common Blue Damselfly

Blue-tailed Damselfly

Female Banded Demoiselle - there were some males around but they eluded my camera.

Large Red Damselfly

...... and getting their act together

Butterflies were active too.

Brimstone

Green-veined White

And a Comma showing its comma.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Very nice collection Tony.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Unknown said:
    Lots of damselflies

Great pics TJ ... actually had one in garden yesterday, quick flash of that electric blue as I unwittingly disturbed it & it flew!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Brilliant photos TJ, the mating pair were especially sharp focus, very tricky when they are so small to get them all in focus. Love the Comma too, not seen one yet this year.

Best wishes

• Lovely updates Hazel and Tony, what attractive beetles, butterflies and damsels.    Although I saw Brimstone, Comma, Small Tortie, Peacock, Small White, tons of Orange Tip and a single Holly Blue I only got to capture the Holly Blue for you as it paused long enough for camera !

Regards, Hazel