All about Insects 2017

Better late than never, I'm just starting this off with this little beetle that came in from the cold recently, I don't know what it is yet

I think it may have been injured when I scraped it off my neck!!

THIS is a link to old thread.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• What a lovely photo T.J. Our Brimstones are everywhere now & others have seen Comma but I haven't. I'm going for a walk with a friend this afternoon so may see a few flutterbys!

Best wishes

• Hazel C said:
    Brilliant Edge, I never thought of looking at the Cucu familly as they all have snouts (except this one). I looked everywhere else LOL.

It helps to have input from someone who knows what they are talking about! Without having a specimen and the opportunity to key it out from scratch, I can't do more than guess at most beetles - as you may have noticed. ;o) (It won't necessarily stop me having a go though!).

• You're a great help on 99,9% of things Roy & photos without a scale aren't that helpful when looking at Beetles.

Dozens of Orange tips around today including this female

Also had Brimstones, Speckled woods etc

Best wishes

• Miner Bee taken yesterday.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Nice to see the Miner bee Jim, quite a few insects around now, We've had some coming out of the wood brought in for burning, a type of long-horn beetle "Pyrrhidium sanguineum "

so I put it outside

& I had a huge shield bug attracted by the moth trap & settled on the wall, a Western conifer seed bug

Still waiting for the dragonflies though!

Best wishes

• Very nice bugs Hazel.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• I assume this wasp was having a quick sip of water? First wasp I've seen this year. Plenty of bees though.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Nice photo MC. I think generally the wasps come along a bit after the bees. How are all your plants coming along in your new garden?

Best wishes

• The sun and warm weather are bringing out the butterflies.

My first Small Tortoiseshell of the year, albeit a rather tatty looking one.

A nice fresh looking male Orange-tip. I think this is the earliest I've ever seen one.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• goodness, that does seem early for the Orange Tip, what a beautiful butterfly and good to see the Tortie  too as their numbers seemed to have dropped last season.    I've seen a Red Admiral so far and caught sight of another two on a reserve today but they were silhouetted so I couldn't ID them.  Its a lovely time of year and can't wait for the flutterbys, dragons and damsels along with the return of the warblers and other returners :)

Regards, Hazel