Mainly Mammals

Hi all. I got a few shots of some Roe Deer when I was out and about today so I wondered if it would be worth starting a thread for Mammals? I'll add the Deer shots along with a few older shots and if anyone else feels like posting their Mammal photos here then please free to do so. :-)

Roe Deer at Aberlady today.

A few older shots now.

A small bwown Wabbit.

An even smaller bwack Wabbit.

And a few Bottlenose Dolphins

• Lovely shots Tony, the Mother/Bambi shot especially is just wonderful.

Unknown said:
    Crocs and Sharks are not actually mammals but who cares. ROFL

It does say "Mainly" Mammals, and no-ones counting anyway.!! :-)

I can’t remember if I’ve told this story before but I’ll tell it again anyway. A number of years ago Mrs A and myself were sitting having a sandwich on the bank of a local burn when we noticed a Weasel coming along towards us with what looked like a Mouse or a Vole in its jaws. It almost came right up to us before it realised we were sitting there. Once it had seen us, it shot under a nearby Gorse bush where it spent a good minute or so poking its head in and out of the bush watching us. It then shot back out of the bush (without its dinner) and swam the ten foot or so to the other side of the wee burn where it shot up the far bank and disappeared into the long grass. Again, it spent a bit of time poking its head up and down on the far shore watching us. I don’t claim to know the thought processes of Weasels, but I suspect it must have decided that we weren’t a threat to it, so rather than losing out on its hard earned meal, it decided to swim back over to our side of the burn where it then retrieved the Mouse/Vole from where it had stashed it under the Gorse bush. It then plunged straight back in and swam back over to the other side with its prey firmly in its jaws. It got back out on the other side and was last seen disappearing into the long grass on the far bank. :-)

The photos are really terrible as (I think) I’d only had first ever 35mmm SLR for a few weeks, but here they are anyway.

Weasel….(oh yes it is.!!)….swimming back to retrieve its dinner.

Swimming back (for the 3rd time) with dinner firmly gripped its jaws.!!

:-)

• Lovely shots Hazel, I've yet to see a Boar in the wild.

• Your story of the Weasel is great Paul so I'll tell you mine & the Wild Boar. It was about 16 years ago & we were renoavating our old B&B & I heard the neighbours dogs barking. I went out into the courtyard of our house to see who was there & came face to face with a huge Wild Boar. I happened to have a spirit level in my hand (as one does) & it took one look at me & turned & ran. It tried to barge through the neighbours fence & then disappeared off into the vines via his garden. I don't suppose anyone would have believed me except that it left very deep prints in our flower bed (identified later) & our neighbours destroyed fence. It was apparantly being hunted in the local vines, so I was very lucky it didn't charge at me & give me a nasty poke with it's horn!

• Wow some good stories there folk, I'd love to see a Weasel carrying it's prey and then watching you and your wife closely Paul, and your story Hazel is a little worrying, coming face to face with a wild boar and living to tell the tale, pretty exciting stuff.

• A mammal (or mainly) thread sounds like a good idea. I don't see a great many, other than cyrils, unfortunately and get to photograph even fewer!!

...well, apart from the little nibble thief I'd already put in today's post that is.

• Please feel free to post it here as well Nigel, all Mammals welcome. :-)

• I think this thread is going to be quite entertaining so well starting this idea;  the wonderful Coypu and Otter

@ Hazel, amazing to see a wild boar and interesting Badger lane.

@ Paul, I loved the story of the Weasel Paul and the fact it returned for its prey.   Photos either clear or not do tell their own story too so it was good to see the pics which show it swimming rapidly.  I think a lot of these special moments in life remain engrained on the memory and encounters we don't come across very often.   Keep 'em coming:)

• Hare today gone tomorrow!

• A lovely idea, when I have taken some more pictures I will be sure to post them on this thread. Fantastic photos, I particularly love the deer with its head sticking out the grass but the wabbits are so cute too!

• The only photos I have are of my time working with alpacas for my Bronze DofE award. They're really bad quality but too cute not to post :)