Blue Tit with overgrown lower mandible

post edit:   I originally thought this Blue Tit was one we'd seen a few weeks back but then realised this one had overgrown lower mandible whereas the one a few weeks ago had elongated upper mandible.       I wonder if this is problem on the increase in birds with seeing two different birds.     At least it's doing well just as the previous BT did.    

Seems we have our own Crossbill in the garden !    This blue tit  appears to be in good condition, eating well despite that terribly overgrown lower mandible.   It tends to pick up seeds by tilting its head sideways but can pick up suet pellets easier.       It must be able to preen as it looks amazingly well and tidy so it was relief to catch up with it today and know it is doing just fine :)      It goes to show how well some birds cope with their disabilities.

• Always sad to see this but it seems to be feeding well so that's good.

• Poor wee thing but it looks in good nick and is feeding itself.

I notice you took the photos with the new lens plus x2 extender on the MkIII. Beautifully crisp and clear with great bokeh. You must be really chuffed.

• Thanks Tony,   yes, I hadn't tried an extender on the lens so this was just a quick try out on a very gloomy late morning/afternoon.      I do love this lens and getting used to it.   Even in such poor light and with the extender on it gave pretty good light overall and the subjects seem to really stand out so well.    If you ever want a trial of it you better pop back to Cheshire lol

• More lovely pics, Hazel--thanks.  Chickadees, birds in the Tit family in North America, sometimes develop an overgrown upper mandible and it is thought to be caused by a virus. It is fortunate that this BT seems to be doing alright and can manage with suet pellets.

• Great detail on those pics Hazy, makes me realise that looking at the little birds no matter how close you are you don't get that awareness of the markings and colour that you can do with a decent photo.   Good luck to the little tit and it just shows how they can survive with their disabilities doesn't it.

• He seems to be managing well enough though. Poor wee man.

• Thanks ladies,  I must say it was good to see this tit bird eating well and looks like it manages to keep its feathers in shape despite the overgrowth of the bill.  

@ Ann, yes, I was reading a couple of months ago about the Chickadee bird where it was possibly first spotted.   I guess it's hard to come to a firm conclusion as to why these birds develop overgrown mandibles and virus is one possibility they are considering amongst other possible causes.  I wonder if it is a genetic problem that is passed down and I guess a lot of birds, due to staying in a tighter location from birth tend to interbreed more.   I did ask BTO "theoretically"  .... if a bird could be caught, could the bill be trimmed back successfully by a vet ...  but as expected their view was better to leave the bird as there were no guarantee the elongated part of the bill wouldn't grow back again combined with the stress to the bird of being captured.  

There are so many things researchers have to keep investigating for answers and shows how complex these things can be.     I do send in all the data to BTO as it adds to statistics and they can sometimes make use of the photos.   I guess we often look at these birds from a very human side, feeling inadequate to help a sick or injured bird or bird like this tit with a disability but then again I see this Tit bird behaving almost as normally as the other birds and managing so well, bless it.   I guess having food "on tap" may help ... but then again,  food sources was another thing the researchers were taking into consideration !     As long as I see the birds coping ok then I leave well alone.