A damp start to 2017 in Felixstowe.

Weather-wise it hasn't exactly been a perfect start to the year here - after a gloomy morning it then started to rain.  Not wishing to be stuck in the house I decided to go out anyway:

These wood pigeons clearly weren't bothered by the weather at all!

At the Viewing Point there were a number of black-headed gulls about.  This one gave me a look as it preened.

Still eyeing me warily.

The appearance of this crow was enough to cause a mass scarper of the gulls.

There was more than one crow about.  This one was thoroughly enjoying some lunch.

After a drive around Felixstowe I took the back road home.  These goldfinches and greenfinches were enjoying a New Year pool party!

A vocal herring gull in the neighbourhood.

Enjoy, as always.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Nice start to the year. The Wood Pidges are getting frisky already!

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• lovely set Clare, always nice to see the fab corvids, gulls and the lovey-dovey wood pigeons  !

Regards, Hazel 

• I went out in the sun this afternoon, just to make you jealous Clare, but wished I had a camera with me 'cause there were some interesting birds just ahead of me in the fields, could have been goldies or maybe even a brambling or two.   Well done on your photos, love the bathing beauties.

Lot to learn

• Thanks, all.  I sometimes wonder if people get bored of my relentlessly posting photos of gulls, corvids and other everyday birds - but then I'm reassured by the lovely comments I get.  It's always appreciated.

Off to Minsmere today and it promises to be sunny!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:

Clare Bailey said:
    After a drive around Felixstowe I took the back road home.  These goldfinches and greenfinches were enjoying a New Year pool party!

Doesn't the Chaffinch deserve a mention. LOL

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Glad you got out Clare, we had a brisk walk, but it was freezing, as you say, the canoodling Wood Pigeons wern't bothered! LOL

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France