Another sighting of red kites in Kent.

Hi All

Just like to let you know I have now seen three sightings of red kites around Kent in the last two weeks.

The local paper also carried a report about these wonderful birds coming back to this area.

This for me is great news and hope it will not be to long before they become a common sight.

Robert

• Hi Robert,

Wonderful - lucky you!  I have heard that there have been sightings in Wiltshire but I haven't seen any yet.   Fingers crossed.

Best wishes

SB

• Good news Robert. They seem to be doing exceptionally well in the south-east. Not a day goes by when I don't see several of them circling overhead just east of Reading.

Regards TJ

• hi Robert

Another great story to go with your story about your Bitterns and your Purple Heron.

It is warming to the heart when you hear success stories about kites and they are doing well now thanks to all the conservation issues attached to their well-being

I was lucky to have them close to home while living in Stirling years ago and they flew high in sky above our rented Farmhouse.  They where a dream came true to watch all day (got no housework done)

This must have been in 2003 or so and I remember the Kite people would check if the Kites where okay and Dave and I where told not to tell anyone about the Kites as they are protected (for their own protection) came to mind)

How times have changed and they must more secure as a species now.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi Robert

Lucky you. I see at least one red kite fly over my garden daily. TJ has one land in his garden!

Hi SB

Wiltshire will be a doddle for red kites. They are now common in Berkshire, so it's only a matter of time before you get them across the border in Wiltshire. Red kites have no borders in the sky where they fly, and they sure can fly :-))

• I am so pleased to hear that Robert. I saw red kites everyday when I lived in Wales but we do not see many around here. They are beautiful birds.

It is obvious you get real pleasure from watching them.

• Hi

Another confirmation of Red Kites; on Wed or Thursday 23/24 June sitting in the garden in Maidstone (Upper Fant Road) I watched a red kite fly over in a NW direction.

Mike

• Great news Robert

I have a real soft spot for the Red Kite. Beautiful birds and masters of the sky.

Cheers

AL

• A Red Kite flew over my garden today (09/04/14) in Lower Fant Rd, Maidstone.

• Hi, For the last 2 days (5th & 6th April 2021) have spotted a pair of Red Kites over Chelsfield, Orpington I believe this to be a breeding pair.
    Absolutely fantastic to watch as for over an hour they circled at low level just above the roof tops and at one point landed in the tree at the back of my garden before swooping down to ground level where some scraps had been placed.
  • Red Kites are spreading round most parts of the country since their reintroduction in selected sreas a few years ago. Because they are quite easy to identify compared to some birds of prey even non birders can spot them and enjoy their