Can Buzzards Attack and Why ?

Whilst out wandering the countryside I came across a chap who claimed he'd just been attacked by a BoP with a 3ft wingspan. He showed me how he'd fended of the bird who had hit him on the back of the head on the first swoop. He also informed me where it had happened which was next to an oak tree a couple of fields away. I asked him if he was OK, he said he was and we parted company.

Now this got me thinking about an occasion I was informed of two years ago. As some of you know I snap some motor racing images from time to time. Well at an event at Curborough, one of the Rescue Team informed me that they'd just dealt with a guy out jogging near the course who was covered in blood. They'd patched him up and called for an ambulance. The jogger claimed that he'd been attacked by a buzzard.

Well I continued my walk and I came across the field the chap claimed he had been attacked in earlier and sure enough there was a buzzard circling high up as they do. Well as I approached the oak tree the buzzard’s tell tail shriek became louder and louder. Obviously with the two stories in mind I started to watch the buzzard more closely. Well he certainly came very close to me on one or two occasions but he didn't attack. However his shrieking became more and more intense even when he'd settled on his perch in the oak tree.

I was obviously carrying a camera but only the G10 and I managed to get one which was of the buzzard about 20ft above me. It’s not brilliant but you get the picture. I wished I’d got my other camera but best not to dwell on missed opportunities.

• Hi Richard

A super picture of a Buzzard once more

Interesting story about the buzzard attacking a person

I have never heard of a Buzzard attacking a person at all so it is a new one to me.

The only thing I could think about why any Buzzards will attack people is that they have youngsters, and are protecting their families.

I am sure others will have theories too {puzzled}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 21/06/2010 23:17 in reply to Anonymous

Hi Richard

I was out with two Duke of Edinburgh Award groups of young people and both groups were swooped by a Buzzard (one lad got a photo) It's very likely it was defending a nest or young nearby.

I was attacked myself by an Eagle Owl near Dunsop Bridge. Now, that was scary!!!!

Cheers

Pipit

• Aye Ive been hit on the back of the head by a Buzzard when I was a kid. It knocked me flying and put a real nice hole in my fave baseball cap at the time.

Still have the scar  on my head from the 4 stiches i needed.

Cheers

AL

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 22/06/2010 03:10 in reply to AL

Hey AL

Had you told it one of your jokes by any chance?? lol

You often have us in stitches - this was your turn!!!

Tee hee

Pip xxxx

• Na I was lucky It hit my head so no damage other than a blunt talon lol

Cheers

AL

• There are 2 reasons that I know of  that will make them attack.

The first is that they are defending there young and mate from  you getting to close .

The other is

They were brought up by people and are so imprinted they look to  folks as a mate to be. .

Had that happen to me with a Tawny Owl . Scared the piggin life out of me so it did  and my bike went into the dry stone wall  leaving me to hobble home 12 miles with a broke bike and skint knees.

The Joys of bein a kid!

Cheers

AL

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 22/06/2010 03:24 in reply to AL

Yes Buzzards do attack people, infact it is happening in the Scottish Borders where I live.

Kailzie Gardens, the public road, running past the entrance there. Quite a few people have been attacked recently.

You can read about it in the Peeblesshire News online

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 22/06/2010 03:38 in reply to Anonymous

You know, I think most birds will attack anyone or anything that threatens their family. 

Sometimes they target a completely innocent person.

In my experience the most psycho is a Blackbird.

Cheers

Pipit

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 22/06/2010 03:55 in reply to Anonymous

Haa Haa

For me I think its the Siskins, they are very aggressive towards other birds, even those bigger then themselves,

saw one in my back garden taking on the neighbours moggie!  needless to say the moggie took second prize :)

• Oh yes indeedy.  Press reports about Buzzards taking exception to passing walkers, joggers, or even cyclists are quite common. Attacks can and do result in minor lacerations and usually a hasty retreat on the part of the victim, This is exactly what the Buzzard wants - a perceived threat safely out of the territory.

JBNTS