Few pics from todays Walk - Part 2

To continue:  

Spent 5 hours meandering around Northwich woods/River Weaver/Marbury C.Park/Budworth Mere today  and although we didn't see anything out of the ordinary in species it was good to be outdoors despite the gloomy grey sky !    

Here's a pic and mix selection of what we saw but with a WARNING that further down the list are photos of a very sick rabbit we found in Marbury C.P.  which was in a very sorry state  :(     suffering from Myxomatosis

First up, a lovely Dunnock  by Budworth Mere

some interesting Fungi 

Great Crested Grebes were on the Mere

Long Tailed Tit

and the only shot of a Redwing I could get .....a flock of 50 flew over and a few landed in a tree and started to preen

Mallard drake having a bit of a splash around - as they do  !  

like ducks to water    lol

G.S.Woodpecker and a Jay were at the Woodland Hide feeding station area

Tufted Ducks on the Mere

Stock Dove occupying the table feeder much to the disgust of the Jays waiting in the wings so to speak !

and sadly the downside of the day was being told by a dog-walker that there was a sick looking rabbit in a nearby field at the far end of Marbury C.P.     After hearing her description and saying it was hunched and not moving,  we decided to go and check on the poor creature.     I found it straight away following this ladies excellent directions and what a sorry sight it was.    I crept closer and realised it was in a very bad way with typical signs of the dreaded Myxomatosis,  not only that but as it was now blind and couldn't move far (injured leg too by looks of it)  it had also suffered attacks from either off-leash dogs or possibly a raptor with signs of cuts and open wound on the right side of its face.     I stood there quite tearful gazing on for a moment and started handing my camera and binoculars to Mike so I could scoop the rabbit up in my arms, turning it over on its back to hopefully make it less stressful and to take the pressure of its injured leg.     Our car was over 3 miles away so the only thing I could think of was to head in the direction of the Information office where the ranger often stops by.     It was not too far, about 15 mins walk and once I got there they gave me a cardboard box to place it in and they put it in the back courtyard where no animals could inflict further attacks on this poor creature.     It looked close to death really with laboured, snuffled breathing and in a way I hoped it would pass away quickly in peace and quiet as there was nothing further I could do without the car to take it to a vet for euthanasia.      One of the staff in the info office told me there were many rabbits suffering from Myxomatosis in the park which I was shocked to hear -  it has to be the most dreadful disease to affect rabbits;     I was in two minds whether to include these photos which are distressing to see but on reflection I thought it better people know what signs to look for should they be unfortunate enough to find a rabbit suffering from this viral infection.

more information is HERE

• So sad about the damage that the dreaded Myxy inflicts on the Rabbits, puts me in mind of the one I found at Stodmarsh when I was out with Shane & Karen!

That said aitch, the main set of pics very good to see & quite envious of your hardiness in being able to trudge around in these very cold conditions ... I have become a right wuss this winter!!

• WendyBartter said:
    quite envious of your hardiness in being able to trudge around in these very cold conditions ... I have become a right wuss this winter!!

I was wearing three base layers  lol        I still prefer a very cold day to a day of either wind or rain but wish we could have a blue sky more often !       Methinks we'll head out to the Wirral again on Wednesday as there is sun showing on the forecast - if we can believe them !

• We have a sunny window here tomorrow with a 'heady' high of +4c in between bouts of minus figures!!! Brrrrrrr

• WendyBartter said:

We have a sunny window here tomorrow with a 'heady' high of +4c in between bouts of minus figures!!! Brrrrrrr

+ 4    get your bikini on and sun chair out    lol    warmest I've heard of in a week  !!   will be 2 degrees on Wednesday max so will have to add another base layer  lol

• Oh dear, what a sad state the poor rabbit is in. Well done to you Hazel for getting it to a safe place and hopefully ending its misery.

The bird pics are lovely and I love the Stock Dove hogging the feeder. Give my love to the Wirral if you visit on Wednesday.

• Hi Jenny,  it was pitiful looking the poor rabbit suffering and wish we'd had our car closer as I think it would have been better to take it straight to the vet for euthanasia;   I now feel we should have driven back and collected it from the Information Office so it didn't have to suffer another moment;    its a truly dreadful virus when you read the affects it has on rabbits, slow and painful death :(    At least it was away from dog attacks which seemed to toy with the rabbit inflicting more injury rather than killing it instantly which may have been a blessing.     It always amazes me how so many people can walk by and not do something as it was fairly close to the footpath that crosses the field.    Goodness knows how long it had been sitting their hunched up and not moving.

• Lovely collection of birds, Hazel. You are doing better than me. Although the floods have subsided on my local patch it's a sea of mud and all the water birds seem to have had a better offer elsewhere. All I got yesterday was a Shoveler and a few shots of Blue & Great Tits.

That poor Rabbit. So sad to see it in such a sorry state but at least you were able to take it somewhere safe to to pass away in peace. To think that Myxomatosis was introduced deliberately. The human race has a lot to answer for.

• Thanks Tony,      re;  rabbit,   I agree that the introduction of Myxomatosis was unforgivable when you see the terrible consquences and suffering these animals have to endure.    If, as they say, at Marbury they have so many rabbits currently afflicted by this viral infection I wonder why they can't do something about trapping and euthanising them to put an end to their suffering;  guess its just too difficult as there are burrows everywhere in that park and like everything in life, there is not enough man power or money to deal with it.    They do have rangers for the park but rabbits seem a low priority which is so sad.   I will keep my eyes open when I go back for any sick rabbits out in the open.    

Unknown said:
    Although the floods have subsided on my local patch it's a sea of mud and all the water birds seem to have had a better offer elsewhere.

It has been so wet recently that frustration was beginning to set in not being able to venture out and going stir crazy indoors  lol     Looks not bad tomorrow albeit rather chilly day so methinks Mike and I will head to the Wirral yet again as there is so much to see and rarely do you come away without some lovely sightings ......   even if its only the male cyclists in their tight lycra whizzing along the Wirral Way     lol !!!  

• Lovely to see your bird photos Hazy, especially liked the woodie and jay.

Very sad to see and hear about the myxi affecting the rabbits in that area, it is indeed a horrible disease and the worse part of it is that of course it gets put down deliberately to get rid of the rabbits that will be eating the farmers crop etc.   It is known how horrible a death these poor creatures suffer and surely by now another way should be found to help both farmers, landowners etc without the drawn out way that the animal has to suffer at present.