Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hi Wendy, good to hear you've got a new monitior, we had to get a new one last year & ended up with a wide screen which I hadn't wanted, but soon changed my mind, I can get my photos on one side & internet on the other & compare images, great!

Devonotter, it's suprising what a big difference night time temperatures make, I was back down to 18 moths of 14 species at 8°C this morning. Last week it was 80 moths of 30 odd at 14°C. They don't seem to like wind either.

Best wishes

• Agree about good for space HinNH but still struggling to get the resolution & colours how I like them!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I hated the colours & resolution on the new screen, not half so good as the old one, but then I somehow got used to it!!!! It all happened shortly before moving & I think with everything else going on I just didn't worry about it. I hope you settle down with yours soon too.

Best wishes

• Just given it the elbow & reverted to my original but much smaller monitor ... better the devil you know!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Yet another update! I'm only putting on the new one's that I get at home as I'm now doing moth traps at 3 other locations & new ones are coming in thick & fast. These are some of my favourites from the last month,

Lychnis, a rather worn example but my first!

a Longhorn moth seen on a walk, they are very delicate,

& another seen a few days later,

a Bordered Straw, again seen on a walk, although they have been coming to the trap too,

& another small one seen on a walk, Cydia lunulana,

a lovely Lime Hawkmoth which came to the trap,

a Pebble Hook-tip

a common Cinnebar, but my first since the start of this project,

an Alchymist moth,

a Ruddy Carpet (like the one you trip over)

a Shining marbled moth, seen out walking,

an unusual moth for around here, Pyrausta sanguinalis,

& finally a Clay moth, I hope it is anyway, I'll have to wait for the boss's verdict,

Thanks for looking & I hope your monitors still Ok Wendy.

xx

Best wishes

• Stunning pics, Hazel. You've opened my eyes to the beauty of moths. The shapes and colours are amazing but I'm not too keen on the furry bodies!!!

Kind regards

Jenny

• Nice set Hazel, love the Lime Hawk and Pebble, really great. Must get the trap back from my friend. Weather here is still changeable with cold nights and windy.

hopefully it will improve!?

• Great stuff, Hazel. I can see why you are so hooked on it. There's so much variety in both color and form you are never going get bored.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• lovely and interesting set Hazel, such wonderful patterns on them and colour tones

Regards, Hazel 

• They`re brilliant.I love your thread,Hazel.It`s still cold & windy here and nothing`s coming to the outside light. :-(  There`s a few tiny ones out in the field - Cocksfoot moths.