Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hi, Hazel. I'm once again catching up with all of your lovely Moths, some real beauties in there. It was really interesting to see the Plume on your January update. I came across two very similar Moths in the garden last year and had no idea what they were.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Looks like a good start to the new season, Hazel. The markings are so subtle but really beautiful when you look at them closely. The Oak Beauty is ... er... well a beauty but they are all lovely.

I've got a cousin who is very much into moths and has just had the 2nd edition of his book published.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Your cousins book looks really interesting, it must be a lot of hard work to do.

Our group organiser is hoping to bring out a book of moths in Charente maritime with all the old observations (from museums) noted too. It's planned for publication in 2 or 3 years time, with hopefully some of my photos used. It will be in the same format as his previous book on the Moths of Deux-Sèvres www.papillon-poitou-charentes.org/-Lepidopteres-du-Poitou-Charentes-.html

It makes all the late nights & early mornings worthwhile when you know there will be a lasting legacy.  

Best wishes

• It's been ages since I posted & I sorted this lot to go on a week ago, since then I've not had more than a few minutes. I'll start with a few more from the end of March, a micro moth mompha species, found in the house, I hope it doesn't eat the sofa!

a Yellow horned Moth (must have been named after it's caterpillar, I see no horns!)

a Brindled Beaty

Conformist,

a Small Quaker, seen on the 1st April, I've tried to keep them in date order,

Streamer,

Powdered Quaker,

Then it got a bit cold so not much around until the middle of April, this little fella with the fancy hairdoo was a new familly for our groupe, Eriocraniidae,

then they came in rush, a Great Prominent,

a Barred Umber

Mocha (strange name for a lovely moth)

another micro moth Mompha epilobiella,

a Nut-tree Tussock,

a Lunar Marbled Brown

a very striking micro moth Tinea trinotella

& that takes us up to 16th April!! as usual I've only posted the new ones, old faithfuls are still coming in all the time!

Since then, as i've mentioned elsewhere, the moths have gone mad & I've loads of newbies, but they'll have to wait a few days yet for me to get my head back around the right way!!

Thanks for looking.

Best wishes

• Lovely to get an update Hazel- well worth the wait!Some fantastic photos too,you must be getting quite the expert by now.Love the photo of the delicate looking Mocha moth,your photos really show how beautiful moths are

Jayne

See my Flickr photos here.

• great update Hazel, what fantastic markings they have especially the Mocha and Nut-tree Tussock, however, they are all beautiful and individual, don't know how you manage to name them all, there are so many varieties !  

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazy & Jayne, I'll try & get the moths up date in a week or so.

I'm over 400 species now & getting quite quick at identifying. All the rest of the group send me their photos for checking & identifying before they go to the head of the project to try & save him some time! The poor chap works full time & has a familly & only does it in his spare time & he was inundated!

Best wishes

• Great stuff HinNH, on catchup here but now viewing on my new free (second hand donated by kind NinL) wide screen monitor (20")!!

Such pretty detail!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks for the link Hazel. My moth trap is now with a friend to see whats about in her garden. Its got very cold here again cold wind and cold nights. I'll try again soon

Keep up with the good work can only get busier !!

Regards

• Just gone through all your photos some real beauties there. fantastic!