Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Unknown said:

Just catching up again with these amazing caterpillars and moths,  I'm not only impressed with all the lovely species but also the gear and lighting effects  lol    well done ladies, it's fascinating to see.  

Thanks Hazy, we run discos as a sideline! LOL

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hazel C said:
    Thanks Hazy, we run discos as a sideline! LOL

as long as its music from the 60's and 70's  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Am on the lookout for one of them thar 'glitter-balls' to entertain passing Moths!! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• lol Wendy !!!  

Regards, Hazel 

• WendyBartter said:

I read that too H & have placed a multi-stemmed twig in the house but sure I also read that they used flat surfaces also like walls!

I opened the lid of house today so they could crawl away if they wanted, bigger one is firmly ensconced in crevice beside zip so wonde if cocoon will be forthcoming, other one is on leaves on floor!  See what happens tomorrow, apart from all the rain of course!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• My Vapourer Moth larvae chose to stay & have given me a great study opportunity especially as the larger one who found a cosy crevice began to construct it's silk cocoon, another species which weaves it's own hairs into the silk ... (a most difficult place to capture on film I must say!) ... an upmarket studio was called for! Lol, Heath Robinson comes to mind ....

But I did get this footage

If first one hatches as a female & stays with the cocoon waiting for a male mate then I can put it outside on the verandah & one is sure to find her which should give me a chance to see a male one, also to see the female lay eggs!

Maybe the smaller one charging around could be a male as the females are considerably larger ... we shall see (with luck!)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• what fantastic footage Wendy,  its fascinating to watch and now waiting for the next update lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks aitch, not sure how long to wait for Moths to emerge, still investigating that but others have kept & studied them so no shortage of info out there!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr