Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• WendyBartter said:
    Wickes do a reasonably priced inspection lamp with conventional bayonet fitting

If you don't have one, you may be able to try the bulb in an old bedside table lamp to see if it works before buying a lead light.

Best wishes

• Just had another idea H ... I could simply put UV light inside porch, leave front door open & tack white cotton sheet over lounge doorway then no problems if it rains!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Better make sure it's not a red light! LOL

I put mine under the garden plastic table when there is rain forecast. I cover the top with plastic to stop the rain coming in the parasol hole.

This is the Ikea trap in the woods a week ago

I did the mercury light trap out in the open until 2h00 in the morning, kipped in the camper & was up at 5h00 to pick up the sheets & then go & find the one in the photo about a mile away. It was amazing the number of different one's I got. I was a bit tired driving home though!

Best wishes

• Ha ha H!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• That light looks pretty impressive for bringing in the moths H, am looking for the best thing for me here!

ITM, a slightly fuzzy vid of VM larva crawling across top see through lid of new residence ... I am fascinated to see how it moves it's legs!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    That light looks pretty impressive for bringing in the moths H, am looking for the best thing for me here!

It's only 15 Watts.

Brilliant video Wendy, looks like it's doing some exploring in there. Where did you get the kit from? I wouldn't mind trying to raise some caterpillars, but not sure if I've time!

Best wishes

• Just catching up again with these amazing caterpillars and moths,  I'm not only impressed with all the lovely species but also the gear and lighting effects  lol    well done ladies, it's fascinating to see.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Hazel C said:
    Where did you get the kit from?

Here you go H ... sooo easy using their larvae, much less trouble than these Vapourer ones, worrying about food sources!!

https://www.insectlore.co.uk/mini-beasts/live-kits.html 

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    much less trouble than these Vapourer ones, worrying about food sources!!

Thanks for the link  Wendy.

Looking at my caterpillar book you may have to put these Vapourers back into the wild. It says they eat almost any deciduous tree which is easy. However for pupation it says " They feed until July or August and pupate in tough cocoons, incorporating hairs from the body, spun on twigs or in crevices of the bark" Tricky to simulate that!  Also the female lays the eggs in a large batch on the outside of the cocoon from which she has emerged, so it's a continuous thing. 

Best wishes

• I read that too H & have placed a multi-stemmed twig in the house but sure I also read that they used flat surfaces also like walls!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr