Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Would your gloves be the Marigold variety HinNH?? Lol

Haven't knowingly had a Toad in my garden for years now & there's plenty of slugs to support them!!  Also still waiting for a Frog or two to discover my little pond!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I think an update is well overdue & as I've got a streaming cold I might as well put a few newbies on, these run from mid-August to early September & there are a couple of beauties,

to kick off there is a Dorset Cream Wave, which makes me homesick as I adore Clotted Cream (being a Somerset girl)

followed by Dog's tooth

a micro moth Agapeta zoegana

Nutmeg (back to food again)

& another micro Scythris limbella

a lovely Striped Hawkmoth

a Cabbage Webworm,

Vapourer moth

Bordered Sallow

Silver Barred which is a small Noctuidae so a macro moth

a Grass Eggar

another micro moth Bedellia somnulentella, with a rather smart hair-do,

& finally a Southern Wainscot

I hope you like all the odd names!

Best wishes

• Great update Hazel, such very pretty moths and hard to choose a favourite amongst those delights but the Dorset Cream Wave, Grass Eggar and striped Hawkmoth are just fabulous, however, having said that, I really like them all  lol       Really sorry you have a heavy cold and hope you feel better very soon.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazy, a rum toddy & a good nights sleep seem to have worked wonders. In fact I fell asleep again on the sofa this afternoon, but I do feel a lot better. Looks like Rudolph won't be out of a job after all! LOL

Best wishes

• Lol Hazel,   a good excuse for another rum toddy tonight seeing as it helped you have a good nights rest.  No going out in the cold to check the moths without 4 thermal layers on and a thick coat  lol    

Regards, Hazel 

• Glad to hear you have taken the cure H & thanks for more moths with quirky names!!  That Striped HM is a fabulous creature & , naturally, IWOOT!

I heard sad news last week that the Moth expert whose aquaintance I made on our local moth trapping night has died suddenly at age 79, such a knowledgeable & friendly guy!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• It's always sad Wendy to loose someone like that, who is knowledgable & shares their experiences with others. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must have been in pre-internet era to identify moths from descriptions & sketches.

The Striped Hawkmoth is an occasional migrator to UK so you never know, it might turn up on your wall one day!

Thanks Hazy, I don't need too many excuses for rum toddys.

Best wishes

• Won't hold my breath though H, just been on a trawl through the internet to check for SHM sightings ... Cornwall, Dorset & Herefordshire in June/July this year!  They need to flap a bit faster to reach me here ... never had a Convolvulous one on my lonely Nicotiana either during the reported mass influx, must get me that light! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• This is another thread that I haven't kept up!! The last post went up to early September so here are a few new one's from the rest of the month. 

Firstly my favourite big moth, never seen one before, a Death's Head Hawkmoth

It actually hissed at me when I tried to pick it up, so I left it alone & it dashed off into the woodpile.

This is a small Noctuidae, a Pinion-streaked Snout,

A Sallow Nycteoline, also a Noctuidae,

a Bedrule Brocade, rare in the UK,

a Geometridae, Horse Chestnut,

a Pale-lemon Sallow moth (from the end of October, somehow got out of order!)

& last of the macros, a Brindled green

Now for the micros, several new Crambidae including this one which was new for our region, Antigastra catalaunalis,

Agriphila latistria

Agriphila selasella

a Gelechiidae with magnificent labial palpes that go over the top of it's head, Helcystogramma triannulella

& a tiddler, Epibema roborana

Thanks for looking!

Best wishes

• Nice additions, Hazel. I'm with you, the Death's-head Hawkmoth is fantastic. Never seen one myself.

I guess the new season will be starting in earnest soon.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream