Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Might be because I'm not his 'friend' ... although his page is pretty open I may not be able to see what you see!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• This tiny moth was on my kitchen wall earlier this afternoon. Hopefully someone can ID it for me.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• I'll bump this up Paul in case someone can ID it for you.

Regards, Hazel 

• One of the Wave moths, Dusty or Cream??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• It looks like a Small Dusty Wave, I think Wendy or someone had one in their kitchen too a little time ago. I've a few to put on when I've got 5 minutes!

Best wishes

• A few more newbies from the end of July up to mid-August (I am trying to get caught up!). A few more macro's in this batch,

A White-Pinion Spotted,

A Small Grass Emerald

a Tawny Wave (why it's called Tawny when it's pink I don't know!)

a Crambidae "Sitochroa palealis"

& Birds Wing

An unusual Arctiidae "Paidia rica"

a Plain Pug (I think, Pugs are very hard to identify so sorry if it's wrong)

& a Pimpinel Pug (same problem as above)

a lovely micro Aspilapteryx tringipennella,

Another mico Acrobasis sodalella (I love that word!!)

& finally a beautiful moth that is creating havoc in gardens all over France. It's caterpillars absolutely demolish Box trees. It reduces them to a dead stump in no time at all. Even the gardens at the palace of Versailles have been affected. A friend tells me you can by a substance to put in the soil around the tree & when it grows it goes into the leaves & makes them unpalatable to the caterpillar. She is going to try this as she doesn't use any chemical agents in her garden. I hope it works! Any way this is the beauty

It's called simply "the Box tree moth"

Thanks for looking.

Best wishes

• Hi Hazel,    stunning set of moth pics and love the green shade of the Grass Emerald;  Interesting info about the Box tree moth and hope the none-chemical treatment to the soil/plant works;   its a very pretty moth.    

Regards, Hazel 

• The 'waves' are lovely HinNH & at least the pink one is a bit 'russety!'. Best for me is that 'paddy rice' so wierdly fascinating!  Thanks for all the great pics & hard work to ID them!

Have a new caterpillar found in garden today but thinking more Sawfly than Moth so will post on Insect thread this evening!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Found a poor dead Moth in my mini greenhouse today, had a close look & discovered it was Yellow Underwing & had obviously escaped from spider web but was unable to rid itself of the strands!

There are no webs inside the greenhouse but inundated around the house & garden with huge webs (& equally huge spiders) ... the time of year!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Oh dear, still we all have to eat, even spiders. I've got a toad raiding my moth trap every time now, he's (or she's) so cheeky that a few days ago it was in the bottom of the trap : Ooops nowhere to hide

Next time : I'll just hide under here & I can't see her so maybe she won't see me!

Wrong!!!! I need a pair of gloves now in the morning along with camera, torch, glasses, ruler, little pots..........

Best wishes