Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Another visit from this fabulous creature today, they just love this gigantic Buddleia bush & am very lucky to get several visits a day ... but quite a challenge to get pics/vids

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• You must have the patience of a Saint to get these shots Wendy, they dash about so fast I don't know how you do it!

Best wishes

• Hazel C said:
    I don't know how you do it!

With increasing ill-temper at times HinNH!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Must say absolutely marvellous. Thinking of getting a moth trap, but don't want to harm them in any way. What do you think?

• Perhaps have a look here Amber. Noisette used this method at the start of her first Moth thread, (I may try this myself but I can't guarantee that I wouldn't consume the liquid part of the recipe before the procedure was complete!!)

My bird photos HERE

• Ha ha PA, be a lot less messy & sticky to drink it for sure!!  The containers for bee's sugar water get all gooey!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Amber, that's a good idea of Paul's, a gentle way to start. I read on a RSPB blog that you can even suspend shoe-laces dipped in the sugary mix! I was also going to be cheeky & suggest you send a personal mail to Devonotter as you live down there don't you? He could give you some tips & if you're close enough maybe look at his moth trap. You could do with finding out if there is a group in your area that does trapping & who you could report your findings to, so that some scientific use comes out of it too.

I find that I have very few casualties, the occasional micro moth gets eaten by a spider or other insect & I tread on the odd one, although I try very hard not too. I leave them in the trap or on the egg boxes & they fly off the following night. I also get up at dawn to avoid the birds having a peck your own session!

Let us know what you're doing & we'd love to see your photos on here.

Best wishes

• A small group of people from the Exmouth branch of Devon Wildlife Trust went trapping on the local reserve last night. before we set up great views of Noctule and Pipistrelle bats and two Nightjars were seen over the reserve just before dark. I will post a list of the moths when i have it. Just a few photo's of a few moths we saw. Sorry for the quality of snaps i used the iPhone as it wasn't ideal weather for quality photography as it rained on and off throughout the session. We started at 21:30 and finished at 23:45. Plenty of variety with the added pleasure of biting midges and buzzing mozzies!! The habitat is broad leafed and pine woodland with lowland heath all around with a grass uncultivated meadow with uncut hedgerows.

This was just a snapshot of what was about and was enjoyed by all.

Black Arches

Swallow Tailed Moth

Pepper Moth

Buff Arches

Peach Blossom....check these moths out on the web as these photo's do not do them justice!

Need help with this one. It was i'd but i cannot remember.

This was named the Crimson Tiger not sure if thats a local name for it? Another nice moth.

I Will add the list when i have it. 

• Ok just received the list and a few more photo's hopefully you'll find them interesting. The moth I named Crimson Tiger is a Ruby Tiger!! The one i couldn't name is a True Lovers Knot....what a name?! 52 Macro species over 2 hours plus many Micro moths we didn't id.

Small Angle Shades

Drinker

Marbled White Spot

Brussels Lace

Haworth's Pug

Pine Carpet

Smokey Wainscot

Small Grass Emerald The rarest moth of the night

Small Purple Barred

Ear Moth

The full list of Macro's 

lackey 
    drinker 
    peach blossom
    buff arches
    grass emerald
    large emerald
    common emerald
    small grass emerald
    small fan-footed wave
    single-dotted wave
    small phoenix
    pine carpet
    haworth's pug
    v-pug
    clouded border
    sharp-angled peacock
    tawny-barred angle
    swallow-tailed moth
    peppered moth
    willow beauty
    brussels lace
    engrailed
    light emerald
    black arches
    rosy footman
    muslin footman
    dingy footman
    scarce footman
    buff footman
    common footman
    four-spotted footman
    ruby tiger
    kent black arches x3
    heart and dart
    large yellow underwing
    lesser yellow underwing
    broad-bordered yellow underwing x 2
    true lover's knot
    double square-spot
    dot moth
    clay
    smoky wainscot
    poplar grey
    small angle shades
    common/lesser common rustic
    ear moth - several!
    uncertain x 2
    marbled white spot - at least 5?
    beautiful hook-tip
    small purple-barred - at least 3?
    fan-foot
    small fan-foot

Please feel free to look these up to see what we had. It was a great to hours. My two favourites were True Lovers Knot and Peach Blossom.

Regards DO