Farne Islands 19-5-2014

Had a weeks holiday in Seahouses, stayed in the same cottage as we have done for some years now.
I could only visit the Farne Islands once and chose the Inner Farne seeing you can get some good photographic opportunities and I was not disappointed, there are two pictures I took that I like very much and one bird we can find on our local canal or lake the Mallard!!  for these I got down on my belly for the shots and I think they turned out quit nicely.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Hello James,

I've been watching this thread from the beginning, and would just like to tell you that it is absolutely marvellous. Thank you for all the tips, and the pictures are awesome. I especially like the Puffins... all of them...

Also Thank you to Whistling Joe: Your Puffin-Photo is something special!!

Regards, Bente

• Thank you very much for your kind words, Bente, over the years I have took lots of pictures at Seahouses, I don’t just do wildlife I will take pictures of anything that looks interesting.

Some pictures taken last year or the year before.

The Fulmar and Kittiwake/chicks were taken from the Golf course at Seahouses.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Hmmm, golf course eh?  I shall be that way myself very shortly (Mrs WJ needs her Puffin fix).  We shall have to go dodge a few golf balls as well, obviously! :-)

Oh all right, another couple.  Skomer ones this time for a change :-)

Incoming with sand eels

Very much in love

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Very nice, Joe, I never saw any this year bringing back any sand eels but I bet its not long now before they are.

If your looking right across the harbour there are some cottages on top of a grass banking walk along the harbour up a incline and walk past the cottages you can only turn right at the end so just follow the path they have made the path better it was just soil at first but nor it’s a little wider and tarmaced so nice under foot till you get to the golf course then its grass but just before you get on the golf course there is a gate and you will see the Kittiwakes nesting on the cliffs, you can walk a little bit more on top of the cliff to get a better view.
    If there are eggs or young about the Fulmars will be gliding along the cliffs on the updraft so can make for some nice pictures that’s what the one in the picture above was doing.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Excellent, Thanks Jim :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Well Bob, how did your trip to the Farne Islands? I hope you had a good trip and saw plenty of seabirds!

Regards,

Ian.

• Don't know how, but I've completely missed this thread,sorry folks.I live in Sunderland, but originally from Newcastle and am ashamed to say have never visited the Farne Islands, however,in my defence, I have only recently taken up the joys of bird watching. There are so many things to see and places to visit that I'm sure I'll get there one day, in the meantime can I say what excellent photo's there are in this thread James and am looking forward to more from Bob (happy Birthday)(I'm 67 this year) Thomo and Christine, I'm sure you'll do us proud.

Terry

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• Thanks Terry - I think we are all excited about going to the Farne Islands, and you never know, now you're in to birdwatching, we might be looking at your photographs of the Farne Islands before too long!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Your welcome, Joe, and I hope you get those pictures :)

Wow, living so close, Terry, and never going you must get over there it’s one of my favourite places, and thank you.

It might be 187 miles for me but this thread is getting me to excited now that I have made my mind up and I’m going up again and might even pop up on the 22nd June and say hello to two very nice people on here who are going on the 23rd of June :)

Hope you had a good day on the Islands, Bob, its nice and sunny here at the mo so hope it was for you yesterday and you got those pictures.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Wow, glad you had a good day, Bob, I have never seen any dolphins while going over to the Islands so you have one up on me, I have seen them from the harbour swimming past and had some good views with an adapter I can add to my 400mm lens with a x 1.4 converter on its called a Lens2Scope, I got mine a month ago about £50 posted from Wex Photographic.

This is what they look like and I was very impressed when I used it first, I am going to see if I can fix a small camera to it so I can take pictures through it :)

Lens2Scope

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group