Farne Islands 19-5-2014

Had a weeks holiday in Seahouses, stayed in the same cottage as we have done for some years now.
I could only visit the Farne Islands once and chose the Inner Farne seeing you can get some good photographic opportunities and I was not disappointed, there are two pictures I took that I like very much and one bird we can find on our local canal or lake the Mallard!!  for these I got down on my belly for the shots and I think they turned out quit nicely.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• The 17-55mm will do fine, Bob, its always a good idea to take one or two just so you can use one when you can’t with the other.
    This is not my picture so will post a link showing the landing stage at Staple Island.

EDIT

Landing at Staple Island

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• I'm was 62 two weeks ago as well and you come from the North East where of course I still live. That's quite a coincidence.

Regards,

Ian.

• I got a bus past just so I can use the new tram service into Manchester save messing about with the car and the nearest station is at our local Morrisons just down the road so very handy :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Sorry, the link was for Landing at Staple Island not the Inner Farne so have edited the post :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Nice area Derwent Reservoir, Bob.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Thanks for that. I been on Inner Farne quite a number of times over the years but not Staple Island, as I've always just arrived in Seahouses at lunchtime in time for the afternoon boat trips to the Farnes. But of course they just land on Inner Farne in the afternoon and Staple Island in the morning. The boat is scheduled to leave at 9.30 am in the morning on June 21st for the 6 hour trip. So it means I will have to leave Newcastle very early on that Saturday morning. The Newcastle Group are car sharing for that trip, so as I don't drive a car, I will be sharing the fuel costs with everyone getting a lift in one of the cars along with the driver. Normally we do go by coach for the field trips. But if the Farne Island boat trip was cancelled at short notice because of the weather we would still have to pay for the bus. So it's simpler sharing cars in this instance.

Regards,

Ian.

• Hi Jim, Bob and Thomo - my - what gentlemen you are - making me feel quite young - I'm only going to be 54 next month!!!!  Bob - hope you have a great birthday trip.  No doubt we will be treated to some spectacular seabirds in flight shots when you get back! I will really look forward to those.  I think I will concentrate my efforts on more stationary birds.  At least my trusty Lumix will come in if the birds are very close.  It is pretty good for macro shots if I say so myself lol.

Thomo - I've already mentioned previously that I will be there on the same day as you and on the same boat trip by the sounds of it.  Fingers crossed the weather will be ok for us.  I have been looking forward to this trip for so long that I'll be gutted if the boat can't said for any reason!  There can't be much rain left in the sky now surely....!!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Hope the Osprey does stay a little longer for you, Bob, sadly I have never seen one yet :( and like, Christine, has said have a great birthday trip home.

Car sharing is a good idea, Ian, I live a little further then you and once I get to Newcastle after driving 134miles I know I don’t have far to go :)

You will be ok with your Lumix, Christine, and your still young at 54 next month :) You can get that close you can kneel down and touch them on both Islands, don’t hang about when you get off the boat at Staple Island walk over the top and down the steeps keep to your right and keep walking till you can’t go any further the cliffs are full of birds 1,000s just a few meters away and some only a foot away from the path so you will get some nice close-up eye shots of the Shags a brilliant green in colour, I will see if I can find any pictures showing how close you can get to some of the birds.
    You can always take some pictures of the Puffins and others when you go back to the boat at first everyone stops at the same spot and it can get hard to find a spot let them take their pictures and you will have a better opportunity later, just give yourself a little time so your not rushing

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Some pictures from previous years.

This was my first favourite picture of some Puffins the nearest and furthest away are facing in the opposite direction similar with the other two, it reminds me of a mirror effect :)

Shag close-up

Puffins coming into land.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Thanks for the advice Jim - we will do what you say and get straight on with walking as soon as we get off the boat.  I knew we would be fairly close to the puffins etc, but I hadn't realised they would be quite so close, so I am even more excited now!  Your photos are just fabulous - all of them.  Thanks for posting - I know what I have to aim for now!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/