Day 4 - Leighton Moss RSPB

Day 4 and a visit to Cumbria just one and half hour drive from home;   Leighton Moss is a wonderful nature reserve (rspb) and we were lucky enough to see more Avocets, Marsh Tit and a three Marsh Harriers  (2 female and a male)  ..........  here is a mix of photos

As soon as we got out of the car a pair of Mallards greeted us ....    

View from Grisedale Hide where the Marsh Harriers were spotted in the distance

this photo is just the view - no M.Harriers on this pic !

but they are on these albeit distant views and a stretch for my 300mm lens............     a male Harrier I think

and further cropped version ......

Jason and his mate James met us at Leighton Moss reserve and Paul (MC) handed out mealies for a spot of hand feeding of the Robin

Black Headed Gulls were dominant

in next pic they were having a conversation about aerobics ..........

"bet you cant do this head twist" said left gull to right gull    !

Left Gull just yawned     lol

"did you just see that Gull over there do a somersault" ?   

Dunnock

another Nuthatch photo.......

I am assuming this is another Dunnock ?    it was over at the Morecambe Bay area

Coal Tit next

Nuthatches and I was lucky enough to just about catch a brief spot of courtship feeding :)

Another lucky find was the Marsh Tit

Lapwing

Teals

and Mr. Mallard keeping a close eye on Mrs. Mallard and her clutch of eggs who was resting by a tree stump outside the Grisedale hide

Mrs. Mallard just below, nesting :)

Ram who appeared to be sitting down dog style on his haunches   lol

no prize for 3 ducks in a row   lol

can never get away from Cyrils   lol

and a few to finish

and sunset on the way home taken on the motorway so not the clearest shot !

Regards, Hazel 

• What a fantastic journey Hazel, looks like you and MC had the good weather, we've had absolute muck for nearly two weeks but it's clearing up now. I've waited to see all the threads before adding my two penn'rth and what a great journey it was, you've some fantastic photo's and, by the look of it,some fantastic memories, thanks for taking us along

Terry

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• That sunset shot was worth the ear-popping and noise after all! It came out rather well considering we were on the move. The Nuthatches Courtship Feeding was a good spot and an even better photo. I assume I was off with my Robins at that point?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thanks Terry,  it was a wonderful place to visit and the weather was the best of the week, very warm and sunny so we had a great time viewing all the various hides and species.  

@ MC,  lol  Mike wasn't slowing the car down for that sunset was he ?   !!!  its a wonder I got anything from the car lol     I was pleased to get that brief courtship feeding of the Nuthatches, a sweet moment right by the feeder area by reception.   Yes you were with the Robins at that point, come to think of it, the only one you were party to was the sunset in the car on the way home  LOL !!  

Regards, Hazel 

• Another fabulous set.  What a great one to have in your collection - the nuthatches courtship feeding.

And love 'em or hate 'em, you've got to admit the BHGs are very photogenic.  Lovely reflections as well.

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• What do I say other than it just gets better ... more species, more wonderful pics, privilege to share ... thanks aitch!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks Christine and Wendy,  we did manage to see a lot of different birds during our busy week and that day at Leighton Moss the sun was out and the sky was blue :)   good job it was last week MC visited as the weather has turned rainy and grey again :(

Regards, Hazel 

• Just catching up with the your 5 day visit with MC, Hazel--looks like you had a great time, and found lots of great birds to admire as well.  Have very much enjoyed both your and MC's trip reports--thanks!

Kind regards, Ann

• Hi again Hazy, still catching up with your wonderful threads. I'm really glad that it wasn't a fortnight you had or I'd likely have needed to take a day off work to catch up.!! Once again lots of beautiful photos and a marvellous variety, the Marsh Tit is gorgeous and I loved the Gulls with the reflections and the great captions. Very well done indeed with the shots of the Birders, how did you manage to lure them all into the one place? I'm thinking possibly a sprinkling of Chocolate Bikkies or maybe Marshmallows.??

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks for your kind comments Ann and Paul,  MC, Mike and I had a great 5 days at the various places albeit very tiring and covering a lot of leg miles !    worth it though as we all saw a few "firsts" which was nice.

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Hazy, just caught up with this thread! Ah the Robin feeding was good! Lovely experience!

I remember the Mallard keeping an eye on top of the bird hide! A bit ironic, a bird sitting on top of a hide watching the humans lol.....

Marsh harrier was brilliant!

Cheers, Jason