• How we're helping: short-haired bumblebees

Here's an example of how we are taking something you can do in your garden - planting nectar-rich plants - and using it to help bring back a species. 

Have you heard of the short-haired bumblebee? If you've been following our conservation work over the last few years, maybe, but otherwise, I'm guessing not.

Well, these little critters are unlikely to be buzzing around your daises, dandelions and dahlias.…

• From seeds to beautiful flowers in just weeks: Here's how!

Our Wildlife Gardening expert, Adrian Thomas, gives us a a quick run-down of how you can get beautiful flowers in garden, in just weeks! 

You'll probably have seen and enjoyed beautiful beds of annual flowers like these, which used to fill the cornfields in times gone by.

They can be excellent for pollinating insects, and so are a great way to help give nature a home, but have you tried it yourself?

Some people…

• Monday's magic moment: signs of spring

Before winter has really taken hold, many of us have started seeing early signs of spring.

After the mildest December since records began, it’s no wonder nature is getting a bit muddled. Birds have been bursting into song since the New Year while gardens and roundabouts, especially in the south, were lighting up with their slow dawn of daffodils as early as Christmas.

So what does it all mean? Well, unfortunately…

• Monday's magic moment: night-time noises

Tu-whit, tu-woo!

Children's story books tell you that's what owls sound like. Well, they're not entirely wrong... 'Tu-whit, tu-woo!' is actually the sound of two tawny owls.

Female tawnies are responsible for the 'tu-whit' (or 'ke-wick') part, while the 'song' of the males is a quivering 'whoooo'. And sometimes both noises can be heard at the same time.

Tawny owls…

• Give birds a home: put up a nestbox

Giving nature a home’ can mean lots of things. Sometimes it means growing insect-friendly plants and flowers. Other times it’s about planting a tree or digging a pond. But in this case it is literally about providing somewhere for birds to call ‘home’.

It’s the time for romance...

National Nestbox Week runs from 14-21 February, and it’s the perfect time to put up a nestbox in time…

• How Big Garden Birdwatch is helping hedgehog conservation

Henry Johnson, Hedgehog Officer at People's Trust for Endangered Species, explains how the survey's hedgehog records have made a real difference to his work.

"No-one can deny that the world of wildlife recording is complex, and we find ourselves in a transitional period as digital platforms and apps come to the fore. A future where information about wildlife is updated in real time, and freely available to all…

• Wonderful winter

This weekend, many of us will have woken up to winter’s first snowfall. Though we were graced with just the lightest of dustings here in Bedfordshire (hardly enough for a snowman, let alone enough to crack out the sledge), it was more than enough to fire me up for a bracing morning walk.

When temperatures plummet, it’s definitely tempting to stay cozied up indoors with multiple cups of teas and a good box set…

• Monday's magic moment: whirling, swirling starlings

January days may be short, and often damp, but it's still possible to make the most of your weekend.

I spent the latter part of Sunday afternoon deep in the flatlands of East Anglia. Marsh harriers floated over the water, upsetting the ducks swimming beneath. Cetti's warblers burst into song, hidden from view, while water rails squealed from far away. 

As the sun faded behind the clouds, flocks of small birds…

• Monday's magic moment: back to work?

Grey seal pup. Photo by Kevin Sawford (www.rspb-images.com)

Happy New Year!

I've got to admit, I closely resembled this little grey seal pup this morning! For many, myself included, it's the first day back at work after the Christmas break. And it's quite a shock!

Probably not as big a shock as this little guy gets though when it's chilly - he or she is currently sitting around on a cold Norfolk beach! Come to think of it, I'm not sure who's got the best of it…

• Monday's magic moment: a very berry Christmas

We hope you're having a fun festive season. Whether it's snowy where you are or not, winter's short days make life tough for birds. 

This mistle thrush looks like it's enjoying these red berries. As you might have guessed, the species got its name from its liking for the white berries of mistletoe. The berries are sticky, so the birds wipe their beaks on tree bark - which helps the parasitic mistletoe spread…

• Monday's magic moment: ...and a partridge in a pear tree!

You must have heard the 12 days of Christmas this year, right?

I'm not going to recite it again (trust me, you wouldn't want that!) but, as Christmas is almost upon us, here's a picture of a grey partridge for you.

OK, OK, I know it's not in a pear tree (let's be honest, would a partridge ever be in a pear tree?) but it's in the snow. So it looks pretty Christmassy, right?

Either way, I hope…

• Monday's magic moment: red-letter day

Red squirrels aren't easy to find.

They're often in the news, but I'd never been fortunate enough to spot one in the wild - until a recent trip north of the border.

Our native squirrel has been part of the Scottish landscape for thousands of years but, as we're often told, is under serious threat from its grey cousin - which brings disease and competition for food.

So, watching a splendid male red…

• How robins cornered the Christmas market

The poster-bird of countless Christmas cards, December is the robin’s time in the spotlight. But robins aren’t just for Christmas. Because they rarely move far from where they’ve hatched and, generally speaking, don’t migrate, they’re with us all year round – and yes, that cheeky chappie who joins you while you’re gardening is likely the same individual. Feisty and bold, robins are highly territorial…

• Monday's magic moment: beach babes

Perhaps it's not really the right weather to be lounging around on the beach. But nobody told grey seals, which are busy 'pupping' there at this time of year.

Grey seal pups are born after a gestation of nine months, and feed on milk which is more than 50 per cent fat (!) for up to three weeks while their mothers go hungry (Scottish Natural Heritage).

• How to attract birds to your garden: 10 top tips

Everyone loves to see birds visiting their garden, patio or balcony. Want to know how to boost your chances of seeing lots of birds through the year? Read on!

1. Feeding the birds is perhaps the quickest and easiest way to invite feathered friends into your garden or onto your balcony. Birds are creatures of habit, so don’t be disheartened if your brand-new feeders don’t attract visitors straight away. Be patient…

• Monday's magic moment: frost and light

Frosty outside, isn't it?

Certainly in Bedfordshire, we've seen the first frosts of winter over the weekend. This morning, I wandered out into the the golden glow of the sunrise, and complete with a crisp, cold frost, it was the perfect start to the day.

For me, I love the early frosty mornings. There's something special about being out early with just noisy blackbirds, chattering starlings and shouty wrens…

• Monday's magic moment: barnacle geese - stars of the small screen

Did you catch BBC Autumnwatch last week? The barnacle geese that come to the Solway Firth, all the way from Svalbard in the Arctic Ocean, were the stars of the show.

(you might also remember their amazing cliff-jumping from the BBC's Life Story series)

Our nature reserve at Mersehead - neighbour to the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust's place at Caerlaverock - is a great place to see barnacle geese, and lots of…

• Monday's magic moment: the eyes have it

This owl is looking at you! Be glad you're not a vole or mouse...

It's a short-eared owl, but that's a bit of a misleading name because the 'ears' in question aren't really ears - they're just tufts of feathers which the owl sticks up when it's scared, cross or excited.

This photo was taken by Steve Knell in Northamptonshire. At the moment, short-eared owls are migrating to the UK from…

• Monday's magic moment: raven about it

An omen of ill luck and death. Or a increasing and welcome part of our bird life.

How do you view ravens? There's certainly plenty of myth and folklore surrounding the UK's largest crow species, but one think for sure is that they're mounting a comeback across the UK.

These days, you're more likely to see one across the south and east of the UK than in a generation. So, this Halloween, why not celebrate…

• Monday's magic moment: ghost hunting

Driving home over the West Yorkshire moors recently, I spied a ghost-like silhouette in the glare of my headlights.

A large, white bird of prey had buzzed my car before stealing silently away into the darkness.

A barn owl!

I quickly pulled over into a convenient lay-by as my excitement mounted.

Then, as it stretched its wings in a nearby tree and cast a derisory glance in my direction, I spotted its ethereal form…

• Monday's magic moment: precious things from across the North Sea

Autumn is a time for nature's gems - richly-coloured leaves, nuts, berries and the last butterflies and dragonflies you'll see this year. It's also a time when there's lots of bird migration going on, all around you.

Everyone knows that swallows, swifts and ospreys migrate. Yesterday I was lucky enough to see some smaller migrant birds - but they were just as charismatic.

Goldcrests are common breeding…

• Monday's magic moment: the fisher king

On a recent trip to the seaside, I spotted a familiar shape arrowing along above the waves - a cormorant!

These large waterbirds are supreme fishers and have an almost-reptilian look thanks to a long neck and large, bulging eyes.

The bird I spotted was flying low above the waves in picturesque Staithes harbour, North Yorkshire.

With its historic cottages and winding streets, Staithes has the air of a place lost in…

• Monday's magic moment: webs of wonder

It seems spider season has definitely arrived. Everywhere I turn there are webs - attached to the wing mirror of our car, on the wheelie bin, and by the side of the toilet. Our eight-legged friends will only become more obvious over the next few weeks as they move inside to keep warm.

Any wispy threads you see outside at this time of year are likely to be from baby spiders (spiderlings). They climb up high and spin…

• Monday's magic moment: it's time to go!

Yes, it's that time of year again... when swallows and martins (these are house martins) gather into flocks to prepare for the return journey back to Africa. Photographer Chris Knights captured the moment of take-off.

Where do they go? We've known for a long time that swallows go right down into southern Africa, but we're still not sure where our house martins go! They have feathery legs and feet, which makes us…

• Go batty for bats this weekend

In recognition of International Bat Night, Katie Prewett shares 10 fun facts about bats and why you should help give them a home.

With the night’s drawing in, why not make the most of wildlife after dark and get involved in International Bat Night this weekend.

This Saturday (29 August), as daylight turns to dusk, people all over the country will be taking part in torch-lit bat walks, talks and spooky celebrations…