As I type this blog, the rain is falling hard and fast - our house sits on a slight incline, and the rain is running down the front path forming a small river, then turning into a mini waterfall at the front door step!  It has rained everyday since last Tuesday - not just drizzle but heavy, persistent rain while a lot of the UK has been basking in sunshine and hot temperatures.  To test the power of positive thought, please can our readers send some dry weather our way.  Just relieved we dont have any chicks on nests. 

As you can imagine, our birds have been hunkered down for most of the week.  Heather came out and gave a spectacular flying display in between one of the showers - she has gained so much confidence in her flying - not so many wobbles as she glides and turns.  Skye and Frisa are still staying close to her, keeping an eye on their youngster.  Half Pint and his sister have being practising short flights too, with Mum and Dad not very far away.

Our young buzzards have been keeping us entertained at the hide this week - we have two families who have fledged and we are getting some great views of them practising hunting, diving and how to land in a tree.

As I returned from a short visit to Oban yesterday afternoon, I had some great views of diving gannets - they are really amazing to watch.  As we were pulling into Craignure and I was pointing them out to my daughter, she said "never mind the gannets - what's that?"  Two dark fins were protruding from the water "That my dear is a basking shark" I replied.  We are very lucky to witness such wildlife on our shopping trips!

Gannet - Photo Debby Thorne

Gannet - Photo Debby Thorne

We will keep you updated on news but in the meantime, I am off to build an ark!

Debby Thorne

White Tailed Sea Eagle Information Officer, Isle of Mull

Parents
  • Liz LFW just in case you don't happen to get a answer,I feel sure web cam tried for Frisa and Skye in 2008 but they didn't accept it very well so in their interests it was quickly removed.We have visited Mull 3 times in May and it was really good each time,this year we are going in autumn but I think it is probably really good any time of year.We think it is essential to do some homework before going and there is amazing amount of information on the web and from information centre at Craignure,essential you have 2 weeks.Hope you get to Mull you will be amazed at all wildlife,scenery and people.Boat trips to see Puffins in spring.  

Comment
  • Liz LFW just in case you don't happen to get a answer,I feel sure web cam tried for Frisa and Skye in 2008 but they didn't accept it very well so in their interests it was quickly removed.We have visited Mull 3 times in May and it was really good each time,this year we are going in autumn but I think it is probably really good any time of year.We think it is essential to do some homework before going and there is amazing amount of information on the web and from information centre at Craignure,essential you have 2 weeks.Hope you get to Mull you will be amazed at all wildlife,scenery and people.Boat trips to see Puffins in spring.  

Children
No Data