Phew - another hectic week on Mull!

Dave has been out and about with the leg ringing team and checking up on our new sea eagle chicks - he will be doing a blog soon to update you on what he's been doing (I think catching up on his sleep at the moment!). 

Our two chicks at Frisa were ringed on Wednesday, both Skye and Frisa were away feeding at the time and were totally unaware that anyway had been near their nest.  I think the only difference was when they returned, some kind person had left some fresh halibut on the nest - a welcome present indeed!  We had confirmation of two healthy chicks on the nest.  A DNA swab was taken (same as us with a mouth swab) and this will determine the sex of the chicks - then we can get on to the important task of finding names for them.  If anyone has suggestions, please let us know and they will all go into a hat for a grand draw.

We have had a couple of school visits to the hide which have gone really well.  Today was the turn of Lochdonhead Primary School, based here on Mull.  They had a great time and Frisa very kindly sat in a tree very patiently so all the children could see her.  What great excitement.  Some of you may not be aware but the monies raised from the hide from visits and donations are split in two - half of the money goes back into the Eagle Watch project and the other half goes back to the Island in the form of grants which groups can then apply to.  Lochdonhead School recently received such a grant and used their money to buy some nest camera boxes and some gardening equipment.  They are over the moon as within a week of installing the camera boxes, Mr and Mrs Blue Tit moved in.  They have been following them daily and are delighted to report that they now have 8 young blue tits.  The enthusiasm shown by these youngsters is so refreshing - I felt so proud when a bird flew down in front of us and one of the younger ones said "its a pied wagtail".  Before I started working for the RSPB this year, I worked at this school and each day they would come asking if they could help me fill the bird feeders - such eagerness and willingness to learn.  Looks like they listened well too!  Our future will be in their hands soon.

Lochdonhead Primary School - Photo Debby Thorne

Lochdonhead Primary School - Photo Debby Thorne

Lochdonhead Primary School - photo Debby Thorne

Ooooh Look - an eagle! Photo Debby Thorne

Our other excitment this week, was the visit of Blue Peter.  Dave will fill you in on this visit but what a great team - set a reminder on your TV's 30th June dont forget to watch Blue Peter and see their visit to Mull!

Blue Peter at the Eagle Hide -photo Debby Thorne

Andi, from Blue Peter, Finlay our Wildlife Crime Officer and Dave chilling out on the Eagle bench in front of the hide - Photo Debby Thorne

Yesterday was my day off so I took my daughter to Iona to hunt down the corncrakes - did we find any? (potential cliffhanger!) - well ..... we heard plenty but sadly couldnt spot them.  But we did see lots and lots of painted lady butterflies. 

Painted Lady - Iona -photo Debby Thorne

Painted Lady - photo Debby Thorne

Dont forget the Estonian webcam - look at the size of those chicks! Live sea eagle webcam 

And not forgetting our friends over at Loch Garten who are having a rollercoaster of a ride at the moment - we wish them well and hope family life settles down to some sort of normality.

Dont forget you can join the RSPB and support our work with the eagles. Just click the 'Join now' button and take a look. 

Also - a reminder to sign the Birds of Prey Pledge http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/campaigns/birdsofprey/

Debby Thorne - White Tailed Eagle Information Officer, Isle of Mull

• As for names it seems to me that, depending on the DNA, Debby, Dave and Finlay ought to be contenders in appreciation for all their efforts and incredible hard work. As has been said the increase in interest in this project is reflected by the numbers of responses and the dedication of those who respond to them. The interest shown by those children is testament to a lot of effort and is precisely what will,hopefully, ensure their support in years to come. Similarly I wonder if any of the Air Cadets? who watched over the nest had their appetites whetted for such duty in the future.

• what a wonderful update Debby. Thank you so much. So nice to see the children getting excited. I'm sure those from your old school were particularly pleased to see you:) I checked out the Estonia chicks recently and they are HUGE. Chicks isn't really the right term for them as you say...
  • Thank you Debby! Lovely to see your photos too!
  • Another lovely update, Debby - Thank You. Seems Frisa appreciates a young audience. Hope Livy Wivy,Bethy Wethy and Bear Hug (?) enjoyed meeting the Blue Peter team. Perhaps they could give us a short report - as long as it doesn't interfere with their homework of course!!

• Thanks for the update Debby. You are getting real good at it now.