I'd like to bring you some definitive and positive news on the 'missing' chick at Loch Frisa but I'm sorry I can't. However, you always tell us you want to know the facts as they happen so I'm afraid there is no easy way to say this: I am worried tonight. As ever there is good news and bad news. Let's get the 'bad' news out of the way and keep positive. Compared to previous years, it is undoubtedly early for him to have fledged. When Frisa or Skye have come in with food, they've gone straight to the nest and not searched for any fledged chick as I would expect them to do. I've scanned and searched for hours on the open ground and have not seen a hint of a chick anywhere. And now the better news...we still have a very active bouncy chick on the nest and it's feeding well. If the other one has gone early, it was fit and well last Thursday and is probably absolutely fine. Although things can go wrong at the last minute, it is unusual for something to happen at this late stage. The grass and bracken are tall and there is plenty of ground out of sight where it could easily be hiding. Chicks spend alot of time on the ground after they leave the nest...and they lie down too making it even harder to see them. 

So we will continue to watch and wait. I can't go any closer as there would be a risk of spooking both the one on the nest before it's ready and potentially the fledged chick sitting about on the ground. Not to mention the parents. It's a nerve wracking time for everyone and we need some world-wide positive thoughts please sent in the direction of Mull. We will let you know, one way or the other, as soon as we know anything. Can't write anymore...need sleep. Some hope! 

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Just a note to say, I know a lot of you were looking forward to Blue Peter this afternoon - the BBC have rescheduled and our item will be featured in September - rest assured we will keep you posted when we know the date.  Thank you for all your positive thoughts - as soon as we have some news, we will of course, let you know. Debby

Dave Sexton, RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Parents
  • Can't imagine how stressful this must be for all involved. If something had happened (bad) would you not beable to tell by the eagles reaction? Lets hope the missing chick is just very advanced!! I will keep everything crossed that this chick makes an apperance very soon!! Thanks for the update!! Come on Chick show yourself!!!!!
Comment
  • Can't imagine how stressful this must be for all involved. If something had happened (bad) would you not beable to tell by the eagles reaction? Lets hope the missing chick is just very advanced!! I will keep everything crossed that this chick makes an apperance very soon!! Thanks for the update!! Come on Chick show yourself!!!!!
Children
No Data