A week ago we visited a sea eagle nest on Mull with two chicks in it. This was to be the last nest check on Mull this season. We hoped we'd end the week on a high - and with the nest some 50 feet up, it didn't get much higher. These two were almost a month behind our twins at Loch Frisa and it showed.

While Frisa and Skye's chicks are now well feathered, these two were still very downy - a grey down with only the very first hint of feathers just appearing. One chick was big and strong and quite feisty. But there beside it was a smaller bundle of grey down. One was clearly way ahead of its sibling. 

Our expert climber and ringer Justin ringed the bigger of the two but the little one was just not quite ready. The feet of eagles develop rapidly and so they can usually be ringed at about four weeks of age. But poor little 'Half Pint' had clearly not been getting his fair share of the wealth of food being brought in by the parent birds: fulmar, gull, goose and deer were all on the menu. In situations like this it is always entirely possible that the smallest chick may not survive.

Sometimes, they just do not receive enough sustenance and slowly lose condition and lose their fight for survival. Sometimes too the bigger chick bullies the sibling so much that it just doesn't have the strength to fight back. This is the infamous 'Kane and Abel Syndrome' and is more commonly seen in golden eagles than sea eagles.It is more unusual for golden eagles to rear two chicks to fledging but it does happen.

For sea eagles, it seems much more common. Perhaps there is just more harmony in the nest. There is nearly always an off duty parent sitting nearby keeping a watchful eye on the nest. Perhaps the chicks just get less 'bored' when mum or dad is nearby and so they don't resort to sibling rivalry.

Whatever the reason, we knew we had to leave the smaller chick to the mercy of the elements and his nest mate and just hoped he would make it through. With such a big disparity in size, it's always tough to know what to do. Do you mess with Mother Nature and intervene? Rarely a good move. Do you try and foster the weaker chick into another nest with a similar aged chick? Or do you let nature take its course?

You take a long look at the wee one. Take a deep breath and turn away. Justin got some brief footage of the nestlings for us on the ground to view. In this case, there was no other similar aged nest. This pair had hatched late. All the others were several days if not weeks ahead. This one was going to have to take its chances. Surely it was in the best possible care of its parents?

As we gathered up the ropes and kit and prepared to get clear of the nest area, a nagging doubt remained. This pair has never successfully fledged two chicks before. And yet they had got these two this far, to four weeks old. This was already a record for them. As usual we'd left them a small gift of fish in the nest to make up for the brief spell of disturbance during the nest check and ringing. The parents would soon settle again and return to their normal pattern. When we were to return in a week - what would we find?  Now it was up to them.

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Live sea eagle webcam 

Please help us help the sea eagles in Scotland. We can't do it without you. Join the RSPB today. Click on the 'Join Here' button

• Hi Dave yes thank you Hilsons for the link really good.A question Dave from what Bill Paterson said seems kestrels don't moult but lose odd feathers evenly each side.Obviously i suppose so that they can hunt all year round.Is this true of all raptors.Hope half pint getting stronger a week can sometimes make a lot of difference and with a bit of luck,will to live and good weather and parenting might just pull through if so hope it hasn't weakened him or her probably male being the weaker sex!!! There has been approx one Red Kite seen in Dorset each day lately and Ann see one go over the village yesterday,somehow managed to nip in house for camera and get a photo.Best wishes.

• Thanks for the link to the Scottish Wild Islands programme. I never thought of looking for an i-player on their site, was just cross that I couldn't watch the programme down here in Bedfordshire! No sea eagles in it though! The Red Kites are really spilling out from the centre of the Chilterns, I see one just about every time I visit my daughter 15 miles away, usually near a lay-by so I can stop the car and just watch. Wonderful. Dave you say that plenty of food appears to have been taken to the nest with half-pint. Would that mean that there might be something wrong with it, or is it all down to food supply? Liz
  • Thanks for the update, Dave! Poor little 'half-pint' - I do hope the next news is good! Only 19 days now till we arrive on Mull!
  • Thanks, Dave - will tell our daughter. The first sea eagle/s our family saw ten years ago was on the other side of Gairloch, perched on a field wall, with the NATO base to one side - and a fish farm on the other!  Thanks also to the Hilsons. Have only just started watching it, but you're right: a great programme.

• Must be really hard for you to leave well alone and let nature take its course. I can't help but feel that taking the wee chick out of the nest is just prolonging its agony. It will survive or it won't but it is very difficult to be objective :}