but not quite yet!

This evening I went to check up on Half Pint to see whether he has fledged yet.  He and his sibling were 12 weeks old today!  Its a bit of a precarious walk and loaded with a telescope, binoculars, daughter in tow, we tentatively made our way to the best position to view the nest without any of us tripping up, dropping the scope or the other threat, getting soaked to the skin by the heavy, intermittent showers we have had on and off today.  At Loch Frisa the weather has been mainly bright and blustery with the odd heavy shower passing through - I thought a good day for fledging - a nice blustery breeze - great for taking that first step off the nest.

As we tentatively approached, with heart in mouth never quite knowing what you are going to find, we rounded the corner - a beautiful sight of an adult flying around enjoying the break in the weather - then the heart stopping moment as the nest comes into view (now, if I was Dave he would leave you hanging for a day or two!!).

Sat on the edge of the nest, two beautiful chocolate brown chicks, just chilling, looking around, watching Mum flying about.  I was sure one of them would have gone today but no - they looked far too comfortable.  Hopefully in the next few days, Mum and Dad will bring food but not take it directly to the nest, thereby trying to coax them out - thats when the fun starts for us, trying to keep an eye on them.  But for this evening, Half Pint is looking fantastic, ready to face the world (well, in his own time).

As we opened the Hide at Loch Frisa this morning, we were treated to a beautiful display from Heather and Frisa - Frisa flying high on a thermal, Heather, flying lower and just still a little bit wobbly as she turns but beautiful nonetheless.  They spent the morning sat on the other side of the Loch keeping each other company, sat side by side - our visitors were over the moon.

Managed to capture this shot of a Lapwing - often seen in the fields at Loch Frisa Photo Debby Thorne

Debby Thorne - White Tailed Eagle Information Officer, Isle of Mull

• Sorry Mex didn't catch your last reply on Debby's previous blog until too late.

• Many thanks Mex will definitely write but own M P a bit of a waste probably pro estate owners etc.Wondered if you see on my blog about Time Team Norman Cross dig.  

• Sorry if I have inundated you all with the requested information - particularly Debby (and Dave) whose blog this is. But it is the birds and their welfare that is the issue here, so I hope you will forgive the overload from me. I do believe that if anyone can do anything to help them it is 'Us.' Who else is there who can help, but 'you and I' - whether it is the Daves and Debbys of this world, or the little person writing this - and the one reading it? Sincerely.

• Regarding Alma, how many more times do we have to hear these dreadful stories, it makes it even more personal when it is a bird we have been following. I cannot imagine how Roy must be feeling.

Writing to our MP's etc is the least we can all do.

On a lighter note, thanks very much Debby for your news about Heather, how lovely to see her sitting side by side with mum.

Hope little Half Pint and sibling fledges safe and sound.

• Debby - so many things to comment on.  First and foremost - wonderful to hear the news of Half Pint, his sibling, Frisa and Heather and thank you sooo  much for not leaving us dangling - I love Dave's reports but if two of you were at it, I wouldn't sleep a wink.

Alma, I too have been following her story and returning home yesterday after a couple of days down south, it physically hurt to read the story.  What a wicked world that we live in where greed rules; how Roy Dennis feels, you just can't begin to imagine.

Which brings me to Sooty's comment to Mex about supplying us with addresses for us all to help by writing - armed with that information I will certainly write.