Well a very strange day indeed.  After hearing the news that our two chicks may have fledged I felt quite emotional.  Having spent all this time with them, from the day they hatched and watching them grow day by day, it was as if my own child was about to leave home. 

As I drove to Loch Frisa this morning, not knowing what I might find, my stomach was doing somersaults.  Usually, when I arrive at the Hide, I spend the first 10 minutes getting everything ready for our visitors but today I went straight down to our forward hide.  I scanned around with the binoculars - everything was eerily quiet.  Nothing to be seen, not even an adult.  I then thought I would just check the nest just in case - and surprise - sitting there preening was one of our chicks.  Oh the sense of relief.   A bit later, I scanned the skyline again and surprise, there was Frisa sitting in one of her favourite roosts, looking very relaxed and chilled - she had appeared from nowhere - a very clever sea eagle trick!  The next time I checked the nest, it was empty - someone is playing games with me I thought or my glasses need changing!  Frisa then decided to come and fly over the Loch and upset the gulls - a graceful flypast for our visitors, then returned to sit in tree.  Checked the nest, the chick was back again!  Oh what a funny game this is I thought!

Having spent most of the day with us, Frisa finally flew off on a very determined mission, probably to find some food, and the chick remained on the nest.  There was no sighting of Skye or the other chick today but judging  Frisa's behaviour which was very relaxed and calm, we believe they are just over the other side of the trees, frustratingly out of our sight.

Frisa - photo Debby Thorne

Interestingly, the chicks on the Estonian Webcam decided to leave home last night!  A coincidence or a conspiracy!! 

We will certainly keep you updated as to the goings on at Frisa - but I am sure they are fine - they are big, strong healthy chicks who had done lots of wing exercises so obviously felt they were ready to go!  It may just take us a while to fathom out where they are hiding!!

Live sea eagle webcam 

Please help us look after Mull's majestic sea eagles. Click on the 'Join Here' button to find out more.

Debby Thorne, White Tailed Eagle Information Officer, Isle of Mull

• den and ann-thank you for welcoming me, I am fascinated by both birds and it is a shame that the eagels can't have a webcam on them.

Mex-as I have to keep out of the sun (excema), and hate the heat during the warmer months I only go to the beach in the evenings sometimes when it is quieter and cooler, prefer it in the other months of the year. However I live on the edge of the town nearer the airport with the countryside and river Stour behind where I live and we dont notice the tourists here. Fantastic habitats for animals and birds with the New Forest not far away, Poole harbour and Brownsea Island (Autumnwatch), several rivers and estuary's and many cliffs and county parks. It is beautiful, I know I am lucky.

den/ann and mex-will be up in Scotland with our motorhome for 2 weeks from 25th July. Visiting Loch Garten first with Loch Lowes, then off to Isle of Skye, Harris and Lewis then back to Oban and 3 days on Mull. Alot of driving for my husband as I dont drive but are looking forward to it especially seeing ospreys and sea eagels for the first time I know I am going to be amazed by their size. Been to Scotland several times before, even to John O Groats, loved Edinburgh, Loch Ness and the Fort William area, looking forward to the Western Isles now.

Dave-am keeping my fingers crossed that everything is fine with both eagels and that the one that is hiding is fine having a good time exploring the area, awaiting more news. Jillian.

• Jillian - saw your Very Hot (and Very Packed) Bournemouth beach on the news today. Oh for a Scottish island... and an eagle, or four ??
  • Hi Debby and Dave isn't it nice one more gained welcome Jillian and about thirty miles further south than us.The Osprey's might be nice but can't hold a candle to Skye and Frisa and if you haven't seen them Jillian when you do you will see what i mean,probably upset Richard but guess he would expect that surely he can recognise SUPERSKYE surely deserves superman outfit more than Odin who has to have help from Tesco.Best wishes.  

• thank you for your reply Dave, lets hope its a girl and boy and look forward to hearing their names.

Followed this site since may 2008 and I would like to say that your posts/blogs (cant remember what they are called) especially throughout the winter have been fascinating and well written, it is no wonder they received an award. Jillian in a very hot Bournemouth.

• Yes I can unerstand that you felt sad Debby, so do I having read avidly all the blogs and udates from when the eggs were laid.  It all goes by so quickly but we know they have wonderful parents in Skye and Frisa, long may grace your skies.