Just a quick update tonight but what an update!!

As mentioned earlier, our chicks at Loch Frisa were ringed last Wednesday.  One of the guys working for the Forestry Commission (Scotland) who was helping took some photos of the chicks.  It is just so exciting to be able to see them so close rather than staring at them through a telescope and binoculars.  They will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and are ever edging closer to fledging.  They fledge at about 12 weeks and that's when their adventures will reallly start, venturing out into the big wide world - but more of that when it happens and of course, we will keep you posted.

Loch Frisa Chicks 2009 Ringing

Loch Frisa Chicks 2009

Photo Courtesy Alasdair Cameron Forestry Commission (Scotland) 

Loch Frisa Chicks 2009 - Ringing Time 

Loch Frisa chicks 2009

Photo courtesy Alasdair Cameron Forestry Commission (Scotland)

Loch Frisa Chicks 2009 - Ringing Time

Loch Frisa Chicks 2009

Photo Courtesy Alasdair Cameron Forestry Commission (Scotland) 

If you are following the Estonian webcam, you will see that their chicks were ringed too, a couple of days before ours.  live sea eagle webcam 

Dont forget you can join the RSPB and support our work with the eagles - just click the 'Join now' button  

Also - a reminder to sign the Birds of Prey Pledge http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/campaigns/birdsofprey/

• II should explain that I did have another login last year but I forgot my details so I handed over to the Lab for 2009. After our trip to Mull at Easter when he met Debby and Dave he is a keen follower of events :}

Seriously, isn't it great to see the chicks close up? The will be magnificent birds not long from now.

• Onomastics is also known as onomatology (sorry, I did ancient Greek and Latin for very many years and perhaps I ate the volumes of Oxford dictionaries a friend gave me many years ago for my 21st? Yes, even I thought it was a strange 21st present!). Anyway, I can't help but love words, birds and much, much else and you may well feel sympathy for my poor, long-suffering family who have rather a lot to put up. If you don't have Tolkien's books, then look Gwaihir etc up on Wikipedia and all the Elven eagle names will be there. Not Hali and Albi, of course - just be grateful I didn't suggest Cilla!!! I quite like Humpty and Dumpty for these 'nestlings' on the photos, but how would that suit those beautiful, magnificent and upwardly soaring beings that will soon grace us all by uplifting our concept of life? [Hope I haven't been making Dave squirm... Take care, huh? You are much needed and you will soon bounce back where you are needed]

• Hi Debby wow Mex most above my head until i look it all up.No very pleased we got you going on onomastics but what comes next.I get a free education every time you comment on this site makes it quite interesting what is coming next.Nice to see you send him much love from his BEAUTIFUL eagles as that dirty dawg Bertie called them awful names.Hope you are still improving Dave.Sure that Debby and Sue are holding the fort.Best wishes.Mex my ABC check doesn't even recognise onomastics but we both know it means relating to names.I Just put the dictionary down.

• Sorry, all.... but I did say Shagrat and Gorbag AT THIS STAGE. I had started off even worse, with Humpty and Dumpty! I then thought about Hali and Albi (from Haliaeetus albicilla), or perhaps Havorn. Then, JanKTFA, I had wondered about Tolkien's Aragorn and Arwen, but looking at the photos, all I could imagine was the raucous squabbling of Shagrat and Gorbag! I enjoyed it in the book. And anyway, much as I loved the LOTR films, for me it detracted from certain characters that were better left to the imagination. Instead, how about Tolkien's eagle, Gwaihir and brother Landroval ('Wind-lord' and 'Wide-wing).'  Or, if the second name sounds too much like a jeep, the third LOTR eagle was Meneldor ('Sky-king'). But if you want The Silmarillion's Lord of the Eagles himself, it was Thorondor....  I bet you all wish I hadn't got me going on onomastics!!! Well, perhaps it will give Dave something to keep his mind off any thought of personal discomfort? Kindest regards - and much love to him from his BEAUTIFUL eagles, whatever their names.