The famous pair of wild Scottish sea eagles at Loch Frisa are being as indecisive as usual. Frisa, the female is in her 17th year. Her loyal mate for the last 12 years, Skye, will be 15 years old in April. You'd think by now they'd know what they wanted. But no. As I write they are adding sticks to at least two different eyries and it's anyone's guess which one they'll finally settle on. They have previous form. Almost every year they seem to prefer to build a new nest and have done since 1997. Some pairs are like this and rarely return to an established eyrie. Others are more sedentary and we usually know where they will be from one year to the next. Frisa and Skye are great ambassadors for their species. From their first starring roles on the first Springwatch in 2005, they have 'captured the hearts of the nation' (to borrow a newspaper headline) and we await their news from their new nest every year. But Springwatch this year will be very different. I don't know yet whether Frisa or Skye will feature or what news there might be of Mara and Breagha (or the original Springwatch twins, Itchy & Scratchy). But one familiar face will be missing from the established winning team. Bill Oddie announced today that he will be 'taking a breather' from Springwatch 2009. Bill came to see Frisa and Skye when filming for his series 'How to Watch Wildlife' and he was genuinely excited to see his first wild Scottish sea eagles. His only other UK sightings had been of rare, occasional vagrant young sea eagles on the east coast of England in the 1950s. Now he was watching a fully mature pair of sea eagles, born and bred in Scotland. On the other side of the the loch he watched that years recently fledged youngsters chasing each other across the bracken clad hillside. We left him in peace to watch, reflect and enjoy.

Later we talked about what the sea eagle meant to the local community and what economic benefits they brought to Mull. This year the Mull & Iona Community Trust has just selected the local groups and good causes which will benefit from the Mull Eagle Fund - the proceeds from visitors to the Loch Frisa eagle hide which last year amounted to over £10,000. Looking back at the groups which have benefitted from this fund over the years, you might well ask what on earth have they got to do with sea eagles or nature conservation? Young Mull Musicians, the Gaelic Mod Club, Tobermory Girl Guides, Mull Athletics Club, stage lighting for Dervaig Village Hall, disabled access stair lift for the Aros Hall, eco gardens and equipment for Iona, Salen and Loch Don Primary Schools, Salen Church renovations, Dunaros Residential Home, kit for school sports days and so on...  The point is that they may not be directly related to sea eagles but they are all part of the rich and varied fabric of island life and they all benefit because the eagles are back.

But Bill Oddie put his finger on it as we watched the eagles across the loch. At public viewing hides like Loch Frisa, the birds need people to visit. But more than that, he said, people increasingly need birds like sea eagles in their lives; to inspire, to escape, to treasure. Enjoy your breather Bill. And Kate, Simon and Gordon - go for it! Hopefully by then, Frisa and Skye will have two new chicks to show to the world - in whichever nest they choose!

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer.    

Dave Sexton, RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Parents
  • Thanks for the update, Dave. Lovely to hear that Frisa and Skye are busily preparing their eyrie(s).  Our accom. is booked for our visit in July! Can't wait!

I, too,  am sorry that Bill Oddie is bowing out of Springwatch. I like him- he is very knowledgable about birds and his enthusiasm is infectious, but I can see why some people could find him irritating - not least Kate Humble  when he butts in and takes over her commentary!

Comment
  • Thanks for the update, Dave. Lovely to hear that Frisa and Skye are busily preparing their eyrie(s).  Our accom. is booked for our visit in July! Can't wait!

I, too,  am sorry that Bill Oddie is bowing out of Springwatch. I like him- he is very knowledgable about birds and his enthusiasm is infectious, but I can see why some people could find him irritating - not least Kate Humble  when he butts in and takes over her commentary!

Children
No Data