A stunningly beautiful day here on Mull. Feels like early autumn is in the air but it's been sun, sun sun from dawn to dusk. Our Loch Frisa sea eagle family are all accounted for today. The chicks have been up and soaring together, revelling in this Indian Summer we're so lucky to have at the moment - compared to many other parts of the UK. Skye has achieved the record for sitting about in the sun. He flew into his larch roost at 10am and was still there at 5pm - he'd preened (alot), turned around a few times, scratched himself - oh so carefully - with those huge talons and done a few squirts out the back but other than that, he'd done absolutely nothing - for 7 hours! I guess if you're a top predator it's called conserving energy. He'd probably had a big feed and was just letting it all digest. Very efficient really and what better place to do it than at Loch Frisa and in the sun?

Tomorrow we're having a 'Fledge Party' for anyone and everyone who has helped in any way - big or small - with the Mull Eagle Watch project. It's a tradition we've borrowed from our friends at Loch Garten. It's a time to say thank you for everyone's hard work - to the local volunteers, farmers, landowners, police, wildlife tours, local community and visitors - all of whom make Mull Eagle Watch work. If you're on Mull, we hope to see you there: 1pm at the hide. With luck the sun will carry on shining and our eagle family will be in view - it'll be a time to raise a glass (or paper cup) to them and wish them all well in the testing months ahead. Cheers!

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

• Hi folks should have said today not tomorrow !!! so hope it all went well xxx
  • Seven hours doing nothing ....... Hope you are all enjoying your well deserved party. I'll raise a glass of a cheeky little red to you all and look forward to next year holidaying in Mull.
  • Well done Dave and everyone concerned hope the weather is still kind tomorrow for you all , it does look as if it will be . I am making plans to come up next year for sure so look forward to seeing you all .Dont get too drunk !!! Happy Fledge party to all , the ones with two talons as well xxx
  • Have a wonderful party everyone - wish I could be there!

I have so enjoyed following the progress of the eagles this summer and would like to thank David and his team for all their wonderful work. We came up to Mull in May and had a great visit to the hide at Loch Frisa; the chicks were just putting their heads up above the edge of the nest then. Can't believe that they are fully fledged and that the project is drawing to a close for this year!

Talking of chicks .. you have my own 'chick' up there with you! My son is Chris Griffin,  RSPB Information Officer, and he has been keeping us up to date with (almost) daily phone calls. We have missed him very much and are looking forward to seeing him when he comes home to Shropshire in a week or so. Thank you, David, for keeping an eye on him - he has had such a great time and if he's happy, we're happy too!

Good luck for next year - Phil and I hope to come to Mull again one day; it's a very special place.

• I could make a comment like "typical male" but I will probably be lynched!! Hope the eagles will be out in force tomorrow and the weather stays good!