Today at Loch Frisa, as we all prepare ourselves for the inevitable, an eagle's head in the clouds is pretty much all that's been visible. The dreich weather continued to cast a gloomy blanket over the forest and loch. And over the eagle's nest . As the rain fell, the soggy head and beak of Frisa (or was it Skye?) was just about visible above the rim of the nest. Sometimes the head shook, sending a small shower of droplets into the air. Sometimes the incubating bird stood for a minute or two, looked forlornly into the nest cup and shook hard, sending a bigger shower of droplets into the air.

Then there was a wing stretch or a squirt of relief over the side of the nest. And you just knew that bird had been there for far too long. The other was sat in the loch-side tree. No intention of moving. The last changeover was at 11.30am. It was now 5.30pm. And then the cloud descended completely and the nest and the eagles vanished from view. In some ways it was a relief not to watch.

Since Day 1, the team of volunteer eagle watchers from the local community and visitors who have helped out, have kept a daily log. A minute by minute record of Frisa and Skye's behaviour, change-overs and events. While the cloud was down, I re-read it all again to see if there were any clues to explain what was transpiring now. There were none. It had all been a very normal, routine incubation. A week is a long time in Nature. Just last Sunday, we were 'phoning round everyone with the good news of a likely hatch. Today I read a brief entry in the log from one of the watchers this morning which I'll let you see now. It kind of sums it all up.

"This is the saddest watch I've done. All around there are signs of new life and then I look at a magnificent bird sitting resolutely on a failed egg. Does she sense that all the time and effort spent this year will come to nothing? Or does she still hope? Frisa and Skye, you have my sympathy - but more than that - you have my profound respect"

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Parents
  • Hi everyone

Thank you for all comments, especially from the 'new' names. All much appreciated by us. To answer briefly a few of your questions...

We've known another failed nest in the past to sit for 60+ days before finally giving up. So for Frisa and Skye at 49 days today, this sad little scene could go on for a while yet. We just don't know. Might all be over tomorrow but for now their long wait continues.

It's too late now for them to lay a second clutch as they are so far through their breeding cycle this year. I think if they fail very early on, like a few days after laying, they may manage to lay again after a few weeks but unfortunately not now.

The hide will stay where it is and the show must go on! There will still be excellent chances to see Frisa and Skye who won't go far even when they eventually give up incubation. Plus of course all the supporting cast of immature sea eagles, golden eagles, hen harrier, buzzard (2 eggs now on the fabulous buzzcam), birds on the loch and yes, the famous siskins and redpolls. So please still come and see us this year. We need you to visit more than ever! Call 01680 812 556 to book a trip.

We'll keep you posted. For now Frisa and Skye's vigil continues.

Comment
  • Hi everyone

Thank you for all comments, especially from the 'new' names. All much appreciated by us. To answer briefly a few of your questions...

We've known another failed nest in the past to sit for 60+ days before finally giving up. So for Frisa and Skye at 49 days today, this sad little scene could go on for a while yet. We just don't know. Might all be over tomorrow but for now their long wait continues.

It's too late now for them to lay a second clutch as they are so far through their breeding cycle this year. I think if they fail very early on, like a few days after laying, they may manage to lay again after a few weeks but unfortunately not now.

The hide will stay where it is and the show must go on! There will still be excellent chances to see Frisa and Skye who won't go far even when they eventually give up incubation. Plus of course all the supporting cast of immature sea eagles, golden eagles, hen harrier, buzzard (2 eggs now on the fabulous buzzcam), birds on the loch and yes, the famous siskins and redpolls. So please still come and see us this year. We need you to visit more than ever! Call 01680 812 556 to book a trip.

We'll keep you posted. For now Frisa and Skye's vigil continues.

Children
No Data