It wasn't quite what I'd planned for Monday morning. But at 0500 this morning, the alarm went off, waking just about everyone but me. A sharp jab in the ribs did the trick though. By 0530 I was in the landrover, it was pitch black outside, the rain was tipping down and I was wondering what on earth I was doing. The plan was to do two live interviews on GMTV at 0650 and 0810, primarily about the claims from a few crofters in Gairloch in the NW Highlands of "substantial" lamb losses to sea eagles. The crew had been out and about around Mull yesterday filming sea eagles (or were they buzzards?) and chatting to a few local farmers. They wanted the live segment this morning to sum it all up and to find a way forward (some hope!) in advance of a public meeting planned in Poolewe tonight.

Just as I turned off the main road and down to Duart Castle - the scenic backdrop the GMTV crew had planned, my windscreen wipers packed in. I wasn't exactly at my most relaxed as it was but for this to happen now in a torrential downpour was a nightmare. I waited a few minutes, the clock ticking ever closer; the rain eased and I carried on, the first hint of light grey appearing in the eastern sky. There ahead was the huge satellite truck (I wondered if they could pick up signals from Mara and Breagha - or even Nethy and Deshar?). Ahead of that was the vehicle with the presenter Claire, soundman and cameraman. I never cease to be amazed at the length TV crews will go to getting a story. I mean, the expense of getting everyone over here, for a live link - all for a sea  eagle story? I arrived with plenty of time for a rehearsal - although the actual live link bore little resemblance to it!

At both 0650 and 0810 (usually the PM's slot I was told), I had about 90 seconds to get across that the claims that a 5kg sea eagle could lift a 35kg well-grown lamb was a biological, physical impossibility; that with hill farming in crisis and tourism generally down this year, we should be working together to turn this issue around (whatever the truth of it) not fighting about it and that here on Mull, we do our best to ensure that sea eagles are increasingly seen as an asset (by most) rather than a problem. You don't have to like sea eagles to realise that they are now a major tourism attraction bringing in about £2 million a year to the local Mull economy. The income from visitors to the hide (about £10,000 a year) is all spent locally with at least 50% going back to local good causes as small grants so that everyone (from the Girl Guides to the Young Musicians to the school sports day to Mull Young Athletes to Mull Senior Citizen Lunch Clubs to the Salen Church rennovation) benefits from sea eagle money. That way, love 'em or hate 'em (and some still do) at least they're paying their way.

Whether I succeeded or not in the 90 second sound bites is anyone's guess as I've still not seen it and despite being told it has an audience of 6 million at that time of the morning, I've not yet heard from anyone who watched it (apart from my loyal family of course who all said daddy was great!) Oh well, that will do for me.

Whatever the outcome of the public meeting tonight, let's all hope that a sensible way forward is forthcoming. Farmers here, as elsewhere, do a huge amount of good for the natural environment. Their cattle and sheep graze to produce important habitats and wetlands for waders and geese, their hay, crops and silage supports corncrakes and the outdoor winter feeding of livestock supports farmland finches and choughs. And many have golden and sea eagles on their land too which are enjoyed by thousands of visitors. The new Rural Development payments across Scotland should support such stewardship and RSPB is working hard to make that happen. As I said, it shouldn't be about the never ending circular arguments about eagle and lambs, how many lambs were sick, dead or healthy. That debate was going on here over 100 years ago. We all know the end result of that. Surely the debate has matured since then? Well at least one thing has changed for the better and that is that public opinion is now firmly and overwhelmingly in favour of having magnificent birds like golden and sea eagles in our landscape. It should be about mature solutions and positive management payments for those that look after them and manage land for them on our behalf.

Live TV has a way of draining you of nervous energy so it's time for bed. I'm away for the next two nights, with no access to a computer (hooray!) so no updates I'm afraid but fear not, normal service will be resumed. In the meantime, I join you in wishing poor Deshar fair weather and all the luck in the world for a safe landing, wherever that may be and hoping that Nethy at least is on the right track. Farewell.

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

2120hrs

• The sea eagles are certainly a very lazy bird and will sit for hours - I can speak from experience - I am lucking enough to have a pair that sit on the rocks at the back of the house - I have know them to be sat in the same spot for 5 hours or so - there are also otters down there too and a lady on Mull reported she had seen an eagle trying to take the fish from an otter! Not heard anything about the Goldies being attacked or starving - the birds are certainly territorial - I'm sure Dave will fill us on - having done Eaglewatch, I have sat in the hide for 4 hours, watching Skye sitting in a tree watching me watching him whilst Frisa was incubating the eggs - its such a shame they are getting this bad press after all the efforts that have been made to successfully introduce them - anyone who has been fortunate enough to see them cannot fail to be mesmerised by their grace and beauty. I think it is an issue that will continue to rumble. Desparate news about Deshar - all thoughts with Nethy now who appears to be doing well!
  • So sad about Deshar, but that's nature, I guess. Life is not about being fair, but surviving and, sometimes, a lot of luck. Chris must be gutted - his girlfriend or is it fiancee was at Loch Garten and the commitment that pair have given this year to these two species and to the public is enormous. Very best wishes to them both. Thought your blog was sensible and fair. Been an Operation Easter volunteer and seen Skye and Frisa bringing in carrion (often a leg) but never a full size lamb nor new-born, though guess they might manage one of those. Given the raven issues and the ubitiquous hoodies - are we actually talking kills or carrion takes? My impression is that white tails are (like most large predators - mammal or avian or dare I say human??!) basically lazy and will "bully" to get someone else's kill. Could be very wrong, of course! Also concerning is an email sent me that white tails are killing (attacking and/or starving) Golden eagles on Mull. No evidence given, but that kind of publicity needs dealing with. God willing, I'll be up again next year to do a stint on eagle watch.
  • Enjoy your break, Dave, wherever it is! Glad you're not going for a week! BarbaraAnne - did you forget your guests' breakfasts?? Terrible news today from LG - everyone gutted. All hopes now pinned on Nethy.
  • I know that Dave is away for a couple of days - he certainly needs a break - maybe from all of us! I don't normally join in but I'm with you all every day and night. Just a point - I can't understand why I can't see Mara's flight to the Ross of Mull 25/26th September mentioned in Roy Dennis' blog. Am I doing something wrong with Google Earth?? Any help much appreciated.
  • Going to miss your blog. I look everday after checking for our dear Deshar. Look forward to your next blog.