courtesy Simon and Garfunkel

Well we arrived home yesterday evening after a great week over on Speyside and the Black Isle.  We had some great views of the osprey family at Loch Garten who are doing really well.  I also love seeing the red squirrels too - something we don't have on Mull!  We then travelled up to the Black Isle for a few days - I can nearly say I swam with dolphins - in fact I had my trousers rolled up to the knees and was stood in the sea at Chanonry Point with dolphins swimming all around - what an incredible experience.  And as we set off for home yesterday morning, we were treated to a fantastic view of the red kites. 

Today has been taken up with the usual mountain of washing and returning to normality but by this afternoon I could stand it no longer and had to drive up to Loch Frisa to see how our eagles were doing.

As you drive along the track towards the hide, there is a stretch where the Loch comes into view and the whole glen opens up before you - it still takes my breath away and this afternoon, the sun was glistening on the loch and it looked just as stunning as ever.

At first glance, no sign of any eagles, only our friendly buzzard hunting for an afternoon snack - I felt slightly deflated half expecting a welcoming committee.  I trudged down to the forward hide and was quite taken aback to see Frisa flying low across the Loch with some food and deliver it to our female chick.  Fantastic!  Frisa then went down to the water's edge where she proceeded to bath in the Loch.  She then flew up into one of her favourite roosting trees and spread her wings out to dry - just like a cormorant. I watched our chick feeding and after she had finished, stared up at mum as if to say "I've eaten all my dinner - what do I do now?".  I felt a pang for the lost sibling as she sat alone looking around her.  I stayed and watched for a while content in the knowledge that she is doing well. 

As from Monday 20th July, the Hide will be open Monday to Friday (closed Saturdays and Sundays).  There is a new telephone number to book trips 01680 812556.  The trips will still run at 10.00 and 1.00 (booking essential!).  The meeting point is still at the Aros end of the Loch Frisa track. 

Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to meet some of you and show you our eagles.  Incredibly, as I sat in the Boat of Garten Village Hall, last Monday listening to Richard Thaxton speaking, a couple came up to me and said hello, they had been at the hide the previous Tuesday and as I was about to dip my toe in the sea at Chanonry Point, a lady came up and said "hello Debby - how are the eagles?" - what a small world we live in!

Debby Thorne - White Tailed Eagle Information Officer, Mull

You may have noticed that comments have been disabled on our blog - this is to enable our web team to set our some new software which should hopefully be completed by tomorrow - all is well at Loch Frisa - great view of our chick today and a lovely flight - more to follow when software has been sorted - Debby

• Hello Dave-Off tommorrow (Sat) for 2 weeks in the motorhome touring the islands. Starting at Lock Lowes and Loch Garten and ending on Mull for 3 days.

We havn't booked to visit the hide as not too sure about taking a motorhome along a forest track to the hide and also not sure about how far to walk as my husband has trouble with gout sometimes and he is the only one who can drive all the holiday( alot of miles from Bournemouth).

QUESTION DAVE- Are you to be found anywhere else (building/base) or are you only at the hide all day? Also where are the best places (without being too specific) to see eagels by using a car park or walking a shorter distance? JILLIAN.

Jillian - it is fine to bring a motorhome down to the hide - we have had several! The car park is right next to the hide so minimal walking.  I work at the hide Monday to Friday - we have both white tailed and golden eagles on Mull - there are several circular routes around the Island which would give you a good opportunity of seeing both. Debby

• I wonder if the rest of the bloggers have made it back through the time/space/ether warp? Or are we supposed to be setting up a new forum instead of spoiling Dave and Debby's Brilliant Blogs?? Perhaps you can tell us what is intended, Dave? I would imagine that we would all prefer to stay 'here' with you and, essentially, your birds, but do YOU want us to stay with you? Personally, I might add that I am not a "blogger" by nature, anyway, and would probably drop out rather than get into a Forum. I have just wanted to add a little support to you and your sea-eagles whenever I felt there might perhaps be a need. That has been my only motive in joining in. I don't have time to get involved in Forums (Fora !! what a pedant, eh?!).  Working in your chosen field as you do, I think that YOU must tell us what your need may or may not be, Dave. Whatever the outcome, you have my best wishes for the future, along with my kindest regards - and great respect.

Hi Mex - I am looking after the fort while Dave has a well earned rest for a few days - this is the first I have seen of the new system so still trying to find my way round it myself!  We shall await Dave's return for his comments on how he wants to run the blog.  In the meantime, I shall continue to post blogs with updates and I will certainly still welcome your comments! Debby

• May I go off-subject with information for Den&Ann? Going back to a previous blog, perhaps you have heard that the archaeological event near you that resulted in 51 decapitated skeletons was the Viking invasion, not the Roman one, as radio-carbon dates have now shown. They are doing DNA tests to establish which side the victims were on. You can hazard a guess. Have we been right in our beliefs about the Vikings, then? Apologies to any Scandinavians reading this! Historically, British behaviour was no better in Africa etc, or English behaviour in Scotland, was it? Perhaps the whole world needs to become bird-watchers (or bird-minders and bird-sitters like Dave and Debby). Would it not be a far better place?

• Welcome back Debby and so glad you enjoyed your break and your visit to LG.  It must have been wonderful to be so close to the dolphins as well.  Good news that your saw Frisa and her daughter but can understand your feeling fior the brother lost.

Mex thanks fior the link to the Irish petition against the poisoning of eagles and also for the link to the Irish times, very interesting.  Looking foward now to an update on Half Pint.

Margobird