A brief update tonight: the family have shown well today at the hide. Both chicks again enjoying the dry sunny conditions and getting more expert by the day at controlling those massive wings. Breagha's wing will be close to 8 feet across and Mara's only a little less. Today they were sparring good naturedly high above the forest, touching talons and giving chase whilst Frisa and Skye sat contentedly on the ridge, drying out in the warm sun after overnight rain. They've earned this time for a little R&R and are using it wisely to practice survival skills for the difficult months ahead which will surely come. 

Great news too, just in, of a chick from Mull, which with his brother, survived one of the most remarkable incidents we've ever recorded on Mull when their nest (with them in it) quite simply disappeared from a cliff face in a violent storm. Their full story tomorrow...

Dave Sexton RSPB Mull Officer

Dave Sexton, RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Parents
  • We visited Mull and the Loch Frisa hide back at the beginning of July.  I had had a long-time ambition to see the white-tailed sea eagles and wasn't disappointed even though we had chosen to come at the time that Breagha and Mara were about to fledge.  As a result the adults were perching out of site of the nest - and perching, and perching, and perching!.  Dave visited that day with his camera for Autumn Watch hoping to catch the first flight, but wasn't in luck.  Your blogs are so interesting and although I didn't see them in flight I'm able to imagine what it must be like to see them in action.  I've revised my ambition now - I want to see them in flight, so we'll definitely be back another year!

For anyone that has never read the book 'The Stonor Eagles' by William Horwood, I can recommend it.  I first read it many years ago and that fuelled my fascination to visit Skye and to see the sea eagles.

Reading your blogs gives me so much pleasure and I am sure that there are many people who are as fascinated as me about the everyday activities on Mull.  Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading more tomorrow.

Comment
  • We visited Mull and the Loch Frisa hide back at the beginning of July.  I had had a long-time ambition to see the white-tailed sea eagles and wasn't disappointed even though we had chosen to come at the time that Breagha and Mara were about to fledge.  As a result the adults were perching out of site of the nest - and perching, and perching, and perching!.  Dave visited that day with his camera for Autumn Watch hoping to catch the first flight, but wasn't in luck.  Your blogs are so interesting and although I didn't see them in flight I'm able to imagine what it must be like to see them in action.  I've revised my ambition now - I want to see them in flight, so we'll definitely be back another year!

For anyone that has never read the book 'The Stonor Eagles' by William Horwood, I can recommend it.  I first read it many years ago and that fuelled my fascination to visit Skye and to see the sea eagles.

Reading your blogs gives me so much pleasure and I am sure that there are many people who are as fascinated as me about the everyday activities on Mull.  Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading more tomorrow.

Children
No Data