Wow!  What a day it has been.  The weather has changed, again!  Warm and sunny with just enough  breeze to keep any midges away.  As I arrived at the Hide this morning, I was greeted by Skye and Frisa have a fly around together, enjoying each other's company with just a bit less stress now that Heather is doing so well by herself.  They still keep an eye on her but she is getting ever more adventurous, flying higher and just a bit further. 

I was halfway through the talk this morning, when we spotted something flying - two golden eagles - we stood for about 10 minutes just watching them soaring when we spotted another - this time a juvenile goldie.  They gave a great display when Heather, our chick was seen flying over the Loch towards the Ridge - lots of oos and aaahs - she really is stunning.  I wish I could capture a close up shot of her for you but take it from me, really dark chocolate brown and huge!  Like most birds of preys, the female is larger than the male, so she is bigger than her dad!! 

We then had a great view of Skye and Frisa again, keeping a close eye on their youngster when a young lad who was visiting, and was keen as mustard, spotted another eagle - this time another juvenile white tailed sea eagle, not quite the full white tail but a lighter coloured head - too high up though for us to see any wing tags to try and identify it.  Certainly a fantastic morning's viewings.

This afternoon, I decided to have another go at checking out Half Pint and his sibling.  Dave's scope is still drying out in the airing cupboard (hope it recovers by the weekend when he returns!) but with the weather still warm and sunny, thought I would have a better chance at seeing and indeed hearing our chicks.  I hadnt gone five minutes from the van, when I spotted one of the adults flying in carrying a seabird.  What a great start.  The adults will bring food to the young if they are on the ground or on lower branches so makes it easier for us trying to locate the chicks. 

As I moved into position, my ears were filled with what is so recognisable as sea eagle chicks calling - they were going mad - and the reason, the other adult appeared carrying a fish.  The chicks spot the parents coming in and call with excitement - this also allows the parents to spot the chicks as they move around either on the ground or in the trees  After about 20 minutes, I decided to leave our little family.  Everything had gone quiet.  Mum and Dad were sat close together in a tree, like an old married couple - both chicks had been fed and were quiet.  All is well with the World!  A great end to the day.

As I type this, I am looking out the window across the Mainland at the Morvern Hills - our latest satellite tracking of Mara and Breagha show Mara just over the water from Mull in Morvern - he feels like he is in touching distance.  Breagha is up north on the west coast, a fair way from home!  Keep safe.

Debby Thorne - White Tailed Eagle Information Officer, Isle of Mull

Parents Comment Children
No Data