OK, so our sea eagle chicks are not exactly likely to be migrating to Senegal to see Nethy anytime soon (but I'm sure they could if they wanted to!)  Mara and Breagha have come home - they just couldn't stay away too long. Yesterday afternoon, Mara was just north of Ardnacross just to the north of where I'm sitting writing this, riding out the winter hail and sleet squalls. He must have hopped back across the Sound of Mull when I wasn't looking. If it would only clear for a moment I might actually see him. Meanwhile, at about the same time, Breagha was perched on the open hill on the south side of the island at Loch Buie, a stunning and remote part of this fabulous island. Maybe they had a telepathic agreement to both come home together? OK, maybe not. It'll be interesting to see if, being back so near to home at Loch Frisa, they choose to roost nearby overnight. Whatever, it's good to have them back on this side of the water. I know we can't keep them safe(ish) on Mull forever but whenever they leave I know they'll be facing a big, bad more dangerous world out there.

The northerly airflow continues and 'winter's icy blast' has just blown the office door wide open. Despite having copious layers on (almost as many as the team did on Brownsea Island last night) it's not exactly warm in here. I have to keep the door slightly ajar so 'cheeky robin' can hop in and out at will whenever he gets hungry or whenever the next deluge of hail races across Salen Bay towards us, forcing him into the RSPB office sanctuary. Unfortunately, the latest gust also blew his biscuit crumbs all over the floor so the current invasion of woodmice will have a feast tonight. I hope they don't chew through anything essential like a computer cable. If it suddenly all goes blank you'll ----------------------------------------

"Autumnwatch" is here! Tune in for the next live programme tonight, BBC Two 7pm. The 'Mull Eagle Diary' films begin in Week 2, next Monday 3 November, continue Tuesday 4th and conclude Wednesday 5th November. For viewers who can receive BBC Two Scotland, you can also see Mull and the eagles on the next edition of "Landward", this Friday 31 October BBC Two Scotland 7pm.

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Dave Sexton, RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

• Lovely blog again Dave and glad Mara and Breagha are safe.  It sounds very wintry up there but have to say that even in Dorset it is feeling very wintry as well.  Had to knock the ice of the bird baths this morning as the starling couldn't quite make out why their water had gone hard.  Take care and hope you see them again today.

Margobird

• It must be comforting to know they are back again.  Welcome back to you too though I hope you enjoyed your holiday!  I have missed your reports.  As I don't know much about sea eagles, could you tell me: where are you expecting them to 'migrate' to and will they come back to Mull to breed?  What is there normal cycle of events?

• Hi Dave Loved the blog and laughed at the thought of woodmice chewing through your cables !!!

Really glad your babes are back on the Island, it would be toooo weird to think they had gone to find you !!!

Like others I watched LG on Autumnwatch tonight. It was a lovely film of early days and good weather unlike today where , here in the Highlands, we have lots of snow on the ground !!

I love Kate, but she is becoming more and more distracted by Bill who keeps on making disparaging remarks, especially about peoples blog names etc..He really ought to be reminded that these wonderful people who send in films and photos  are but a few of the 4 million they said were watching. I tried to blog on the site but had to get a new membership sign in and they haven't as yet sent the confirmation email through 2 hours later so I can't !! Does any one else have the same problem? Maybe so as there are only 13 comments on the show tonight so maybe everyone else like me is having problems ???

Or maybe they are scared of what people are saying about Bill !!!!

• Guess they were a bit homesick and just wanted to check you got back from your hols safely!! There's no place like home!
  • Now Dave lets face it they only left because you had gone away and they thought they might go after you - now youre back they are . Sounds a bit blowy up there - my little robin was having a bath tonight when it was nearly dark I was quite surprised , there is nothing like for the robin for a little bird so sweet . Just watch LG on The One Show - goodness now its nearly time for Simon (and the others!!) oh and the deer and the squirrels and hannibal the cannibal I think tonight . Dave when will GE be updated as its nice to see where they have been . Thanks for everything Dave so pleased your babies are back 'home' and do hope those peskie woodmice dont eat through the computer cables. Take care .

Valerie