As I drove to the Hide this morning, my favourite band, Simple Minds, came on the radio singing "Dont you forget about me".  As I started to sing along I also began to think about our youngsters at Loch Frisa.  One has already left the nest and when I left the Hide on Friday, the second chick was doing some serious jumping and wing flapping.  It was my day off yesterday so thought it had probably fledged too.  I felt a twinge of sadness that these two youngsters I had help keep watch over from eggs, through to hatching and now to fledging would leave without a backward glance at this person who has watched their every move for the last 3 months.  I certainly wont forget them!

When I arrived at the forward hide, I couldnt see the chick - my heart sank - its gone!  But then later on in the day, he was back - he hadnt really gone - just jumped down a branch below the nest so he hasnt really fledged yet just branched out!  Skye and Frisa as usual, have been providing plenty of food.  Over the last couple of days, they have been sitting out on a hill giving our visitors great views.  We still haven't managed to spot the first chick but believe it may be lower down the tree or in a clearing that we just cannot see from the hide.  Of course, we shall keep you posted.

Its been busy on the Loch too - both our red throated and black throated divers and the red breasted mergansers have appeared showing off their chicks.  The sand martins have had their second fledgings - I managed to count roughly 75 youngsters lined up on the fence down by the lochside.  We now have a butterfly orchid in the field alongside the common spotted and fragrant varieties.  One of the things I love about Loch Frisa is that it is constantly changing, as well as the weather the wildlife changes too - one of our buzzard families has now fledged and we are watching 2 youngsters learning how to fly and importantly, how to land!

And now some news of last year's chicks, Mara and Breagha.  Breagha has recently been over to the mainland visiting Loch Awe but is now back with us on Mull.  But Mara, the male is getting very adventurous. On the 30th June, he was on the mainland at Ballachulish, then flew round Ben Nevis over to Fort William, then across the head of Loch Linnhe, across the Morvern hills and along to Ardnamurchan - all in one day!! Imagine how long that journey would take you by car - incredible!  You can follow their journey by following this link Mara and Breagha's journey

Please help us help the sea eagles in Scotland. We can't do it without you. Join the RSPB today. Click on the 'Join Here' button

Birds of prey continue to be killed, despite the fact that it is illegal and has been for decades.  We are calling for an end to this unacceptable cruelty, but the campaign can only be effective with your help.  Please click on the link below to add your voice to the growing number of people saying the killing must stop. Birds of Prey Pledge

Debby Thorne - White Tailed Eagle Information Officer, Mull

• Thanks Debby and what a lovely way to spend a day off.  The stories you and Dave tell make the picture so real for me.  So glad to hear that Mara and Breagha are fine are spreading their wings and venturing father.  These magnifcent birds owe a lot to you and Dave and I am sure they do not forget you.

Margobird

• Hi Debby, thanks for the update - glad the buzzards are doing well. We stumbled accross a family of kestrels last night just minutes from our house - it was fantastic to see them feeding in the early evening sunshine. We think they might be 3 youngsters, does that seem the right size family for kestrels?

Reply: What a lovely find!  3 youngsters is a nice number for a kestrel family

Diane & Steven xx

• Sorry I knocked the button by mistake. Hope you get a sighting of the cheeky chick soon. Jillian.

• Just been updating myself with long awaited news of tagging/ringing etc. at Loch Garten and they have the Osprey sisters, all 3 to everyones suprise are girls. Alot like myself though number two was a boy as a bit dreamy.

Can't wait now for the results of the sea eagel chicks, hoping for a boy and girl how about calling the Glen and Brook?

Obviously we know last years were a girl and boy, who was the eldest? what sex were the chicks in 2006/5/4/3/2 and 1?

Was the chick that has flegged early this year the oldest?

You never know as the 3 ospreys with number 1 always being bigger ended up having the longest wings but the least weight, which was interesting.

Reply: In 2004, 05 & 06 all the chicks were male! The first female chick was Breagha last year. We don't know the sex of this year's yet but will let you know as soon as we do. Dave

• Thanks for the update, Debby - the hidden chick is obviously being difficult as youngsters can be! LOL

One week today we will be visiting the hide, sounds like so much wonderful stuff to see as well as (hopefully) the eagles.   Maybe we'd better buy another storage card for the camera!

Everybody rides on the karma train.