As I drove to the Hide this morning, my favourite band, Simple Minds, came on the radio singing "Dont you forget about me".  As I started to sing along I also began to think about our youngsters at Loch Frisa.  One has already left the nest and when I left the Hide on Friday, the second chick was doing some serious jumping and wing flapping.  It was my day off yesterday so thought it had probably fledged too.  I felt a twinge of sadness that these two youngsters I had help keep watch over from eggs, through to hatching and now to fledging would leave without a backward glance at this person who has watched their every move for the last 3 months.  I certainly wont forget them!

When I arrived at the forward hide, I couldnt see the chick - my heart sank - its gone!  But then later on in the day, he was back - he hadnt really gone - just jumped down a branch below the nest so he hasnt really fledged yet just branched out!  Skye and Frisa as usual, have been providing plenty of food.  Over the last couple of days, they have been sitting out on a hill giving our visitors great views.  We still haven't managed to spot the first chick but believe it may be lower down the tree or in a clearing that we just cannot see from the hide.  Of course, we shall keep you posted.

Its been busy on the Loch too - both our red throated and black throated divers and the red breasted mergansers have appeared showing off their chicks.  The sand martins have had their second fledgings - I managed to count roughly 75 youngsters lined up on the fence down by the lochside.  We now have a butterfly orchid in the field alongside the common spotted and fragrant varieties.  One of the things I love about Loch Frisa is that it is constantly changing, as well as the weather the wildlife changes too - one of our buzzard families has now fledged and we are watching 2 youngsters learning how to fly and importantly, how to land!

And now some news of last year's chicks, Mara and Breagha.  Breagha has recently been over to the mainland visiting Loch Awe but is now back with us on Mull.  But Mara, the male is getting very adventurous. On the 30th June, he was on the mainland at Ballachulish, then flew round Ben Nevis over to Fort William, then across the head of Loch Linnhe, across the Morvern hills and along to Ardnamurchan - all in one day!! Imagine how long that journey would take you by car - incredible!  You can follow their journey by following this link Mara and Breagha's journey

Please help us help the sea eagles in Scotland. We can't do it without you. Join the RSPB today. Click on the 'Join Here' button

Birds of prey continue to be killed, despite the fact that it is illegal and has been for decades.  We are calling for an end to this unacceptable cruelty, but the campaign can only be effective with your help.  Please click on the link below to add your voice to the growing number of people saying the killing must stop. Birds of Prey Pledge

Debby Thorne - White Tailed Eagle Information Officer, Mull

• Just downloaded pictures of this year eagel chicks taken when they were ringed by the rangers. They look very healthy despite needing a good brush on their head, neck and shoulders- ha ha. I wouldn't want to get my fingers near their beaks.

Dave can you give me an idea of their size in the picture in the sitting position  from their bottom to the top of their head in inches please. Jillian.

Reply: Probably 18-24" high at about 7 weeks old. D

• PS looks like we may have an Osprey taken up residence in Poole harbour and Arne RSPB.How long before we get a permanent population in that area?.
  • Hi Debby,Dave,Jillian,I personally can't see how they can be twins unless from a double yolked egg when it would be almost impossible to hatch and both survive.See Ask a biologist Q & A bird twins.Of course quite often in the bird world one clutch of eggs would be by more than one male bird.Poor Richard he doesn't allow anyone to say they don't like the Osprey chicks names Bless Bless.Best wishes to all Mull Eagle bloggers seems quite a lot get to the hide and really nice to see Debby and Dave answering questions.
  • Thanks for reply. May also ask Richard on a quieter day and then will let you know what he said. Maybe there will be an ornithologist reading your blogs who could answer my question, we will wait and see. Jillian

• Dave-I wonder if you can aswer this question for me as poor Richard at Loch Garten has been innadated with questions since yesterdays tagging and I don't think he will have time to answer my question.

Sometimes Mara and Breagha are referred to as the Mull sea eagel twins, which would make the new ospreys tripplets. In the bird kingdom are birds which come from individual eggs, which have been fertilised by different sperm, laid on different days and hatched on different days twins/tripplets etc. or are they brothers and sisters?

I would be grateful if you could let me know as I have been wondering since Mara and Breagha flegged last year. Even my scientist son wasn't sure how it worked for birds.

Thanks Jillian

Reply: Mmmm good question. I would say they are really brother and sister and not true twins for the reasons you point out. We just call them twins for short. But some real ornithologist out there may know different ?Dave