Satellite data just in shows that our two Mull sea eagle chicks are home alone on the island. At lunchtime today, Mara the male was just in mid Glen More near the three lochs which lead down to Loch Buie. In fact if he'd taken a short flight down the glen towards the loch and the remote Laggan Deer Forest, he may well have encountered his big sister Breagha who was recorded on the south side of the peninsula at the same time. They are not travelling very far at the moment but perhaps they have found a deer, goat or sheep carcase to feed on and that is sustaining them at the moment through these bitterly cold days and nights. It is stunningly beautiful and clear at the moment here on Mull. The island is quiet again after the gatherings of Christmas and Hogmanay. As the spectacular fireworks lit up the midnight sky over Tobermory harbour on New Year's Eve, I did wonder for a moment what the local eagles would make of it all as they roosted in nearby woods. But it was all short-lived and everything returned to normal as if nothing has happened. The otters, shags, gulls and seals are back doing their thing in the harbour; I saw two tiny otter cubs this morning in Salen Bay which was great to see after we lost three otters on the road at the end of last year. Those early spring signs are everywhere...snow drop bulbs appearing, a starling heading off with one of our chicken's feathers in its beak and the first rook of the year 'cawing' like mad in the big beech trees in the garden. I wonder if we'll get a nest and the start of a rookery this year? Despite the chill, these little hints of milder Spring days are never far away. Can't wait!

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer    

Dave Sexton, RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Parents Comment Children
No Data