Just a short one tonight...please see answers under 'Comments' to various queries some of you have raised recently back at 'They raise us up' from yesterday.

What a great surprise though...I could hear the hooves of a horse getting closer and closer. Before I could work out which direction the sound was coming from, I heard a familiar bark. Hurtling round the corner of the track, at top speed, came Bonnie, the Jack Russell rescued from near certain death a few weeks back (see 'It's a dog's life' blog). It was great to see her out and about again and following her owner on her horse. You can't keep a Jack Russell couped up for long - no matter how hard you try. It's just not what they do. And the obvious delight for Bonnie at being able to rush about through the brambles and bracken chasing rabbits and mink was clear to see. Will she go AWOL again? Possibly. Will someone be there again to find her? Hopefully. Will she be a happy dog? Absolutely - no doubt about it! She looked great - clean and all her proper weight back on. Almost unrecognisable from the skinny, frantic, desperate dog in that underground tomb. Fantastic.

And did she show me any gratitude? I knelt down, arms out as she rushed headlong towards me - and of course straight passed me without a backward glance and off down the track towards home! Ah well, at least this time she was heading in the right direction.

Although I've not been able to set eyes on Mara and Breagha for the last two days, the latest satellite data shows that they're both fine and still spending much of the time on their favourite hill. With this lovely mild, settled autumnal weather, they'll be enjoying the calm before the storm.

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

2100hrs

• BarbaraAnne-don't reckon the lambs at Gairloch were quite big enough for the pan when taken by whatever or whoever. Perhaps a Wild Cat? Not too long ago the shop in Gairloch used to display a Wild Cat above their door(it had been to the taxidermist, of course!) Poaching in Scotland usually relates to Red Deer and Salmon.

• Sorry to disagree with you Barbara Anne but I've flown harris hawks for many years and have never heard of one or seen one take a lamb.  I think the human predator could be to blame.  200 lambs is an enormous number for any raptor or fox population to take.  I haven't seen the coverage of this story so am unsure if any remains or carcasses have been found or have the lambs just disappeared without trace?

Thanks to Dave for all the stories and updates on the eagles, I look forward to reading them every day along with coverage of the ospreys, Nethy and Deshar.

• It must have been lovely to see Bonnie again, lucky dog.  I have been enjoying your stories Dave and I am planning to come to Mull to see Frisa and Skye next year.  They must be a magnificent sight.

Valerie, I don't know where you live but I have just volunteered for the Red Kite project on the terrace of Harewood House, North of Leeds.  You meet members of the public and tell them about the success story of the reintroduction and hopefully get them to join the RSPB and have the pleasure of watching the kites while your there.  I am also thinking about a residential (2 weeks) at Loch Garten next year.  There are a lot of opportunities.  

• Thanks, Dave, for the update on Bonnie. So good to know she's recovered and back to her old self.  I'm a big fan of Jack Russells- had one for 17 years - great little characters - but if it was my dog I'd never let her out on her own again. Couldn't risk that happening again!

Good to know Mara and Breagha are ok, too. Hope you get views of them soon.

• Oh Thank you Dave for the lovely update on Bonnie. It is so typical that she didn't rush up to thank you but don't feel bad, remember that you are part of a bad memory for her even though it was you who saved her life.!! and as you say at least she was heading home...

As to the the 200 lambs missing in Gairloch....they can't possibly all be taken by eagles...What about Bonxies? I saw one take a lamb on Shetland but don't know if they are on the West coast...

There are a lot of raptors who will take lambs..Harris Hawks for instance and also foxes which there are a lot of over there...As you say its easy to blame the Eagle.

The odd bit of poaching for the pan is not unknown either !!!