I wondered yesterday if our eagles would give Chris a good send off. I should never have doubted them. Today, Chris started this morning, the last day the hide is open this year and his last day on Mull, with Frisa and Skye sitting close to each other, calling to each other occasionally. Then Mara and Breagha joined the family gathering and brought two friends along as well! These were two chicks from 2007 -probably from other sites on the west coast of Scotland - who had flown in for this special occasion. We know they were from last year as their white wing tags could be seen - white was the colour to be seen in in 2007. Unfortuntately, they were too far away to read any letters or numbers on the tags which would have identified the individuals involved. But all four youngsters soared around in the sun and occasionally chased after each other, turning over and presenting talons in playful mock courtship (or battle - depending on the mood). Mara and Breagha are now very adept at avoiding sharp talons from other eagles and at times you'd be hard pressed to know that they've only been flying for about six weeks. I guess you do have to learn fast in the natural world. There are few second chances.

To cap this spectacular air show, in flew two superb golden eagles from the north to take centre stage. They put on a full territorial display with steep dives and vertical ascents repeated over and over in the biggest and best rollercoaster ride ever seen. At this point the young sea eagles could only watch and admire. Total respect - much as I love sea eagles, golden eagles really are the Kings of the Skies.

And so this last day drew to a close in dramatic style. We sent Chris on his way with all our best wishes for the future. Romance has blossomed (again) this year on Mull with Chris getting engaged to Claire from the osprey team at Loch Garten. We wish them well together. As ever, Mull has had quite an impact on them as it does on so many people who come here - not always with this result I might add!  So, as they sail off on a CalMac ferry (or maybe we should call it 'The Love Boat' - remember that TV series?)  into the sunset, it's time to take stock on another busy year here - but that can wait for another time. With the calls of Mull's own love birds, Frisa and Skye, echoing round the hills, we thank all our visitors to Mull and especially to the Loch Frisa hide this year. We thank those who've joined the RSPB to support our work here and elsewhere and we thank our Mull partners on this unique project who help make it all happen every year. When our sea eagle family wake tomorrow and look towards the hide, the crowds will be gone. I wonder if they'll miss them?

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

• It must have been a very mixed day for you all up at Frisa! Glad that Chris had a great sendoff from the birds - he was such a great addition to the team and his enthusiasm was contagious - what a great couple he and Claire will make - I dont think I can look at the Calmac ferry again in the same light now you've called it the Love Boat! All the very best to Chris and Claire as they start their new life together - keep in touch and I hope you come back to Mull soon! As I drove past the entrance to the hide on Friday evening I turned to Hannah and said "that's the hide closed now" - she replied "the eagles can have some peace and quiet now" I smiled - "it wont be long before we start EagleWatch again" - and so on we go - counting down to halloween, and then Christmas, before we know it Spring! not sure if its getting old, but the years just seem to fly by now. Anyway, the nights are drawing in, the leaves are changing, and there is just that hint in the air that winter is just around the corner - I think Nethy and Deshar need to think about leaving these shores soon!
  • hi saw a clip on TV the other evening about your eagles..wow you are the lucky ones, here in The New Forest we only have Hobbys.. and buzzards. flying reguards jenny
  • What a lovely send off. All those beautiful birds must have known that love was in the air! Good luck to the happy couple. Just a point David, you say that the birds will be off soon and it could be dangerous. They don't migrate do they? Where will they go?
  • I echo BarbaraAnne's comments - what more can I say other than I do hope that you'll be able to keep up the blogs!
  • Oh wow, what a wonderful epilogue to a great summer you have had there on Mull. A HUGE Congratulations to Claire and Chris. I met the lovely Claire at LG several times this year, no wonder she always had such a lovely smile on her face. She is a superb PR to the Ospreys and never seemed to tire of endless questions from the public. She was also a great blogger who kept us all amused and informed along with David.Chris, you are a lucky man and I and loads of LG fans will wish you both well...Do let us all know how you get on and what you will be doing next.??? It must have been a really great last day at the hide with all the birds coming to say their Goodbyes to you all.. David, do you stay there all year round and will you keep up the blogs ????