Well the latest news from Loch Frisa is that our eagles arent ready to give up their nest just yet!  Its actually 67 days today they have been sat on that nest - Everyday I drive up the track to check on them, half expecting to see an empty nest.  It nearly happened mid week. 

On Wednesday, Dave and I travelled to Iona to lead a Corncrake Walk.  It has been Wild Isles week on Mull with a whole variety of events taking place showcasing our wonderful wildlife.  We spent the day on Iona and were joined by a large group of people, keen to try and spot the elusive corncrake.  The day was beautiful and Iona sparkled - turquoise sea and white sand.  Well it was a huge tick for me - I have heard many corncrakes but never seen one but I happened to be standing in the right place at the right time - I was so excited at seeing my first corncrake I couldnt get the words out to say "there's one!"  Fortunately someone standing close by was able to say it for me and some of the other visitors managed to catch a glimpse before it disappeared into a bed of irises.  It was a great way to spend an afternoon and as we watched for the corncrakes to appear we were rewarded with sightings of twite, wheatear, snipe, shelduck, little auks and rock doves.   Halfway through the walk, I received a call saying that both adults were off the nest at Loch Frisa and that they have finally given up. 

Later that evening I drove up just to see for myself and sure enough, Frisa was sat on her favourite lochside tree and there was an empty nest.  I went home with a heavy heart and a tear or two - the end had finally come.  The next day I was back up to the hide for one of our trips, and just had a quick check to see where the birds where - what a surprise to see Frisa sat back on the nest - Skye was sat about 2 trees away keeping a watchful eye.  I didnt know whether to laugh or cry - she looked so comfortable in that nest and it is just part of her natural routine at the moment.  They will abandon the nest soon and of course we will keep you posted.   They are giving us some great displays with Skye trying to catch a fish at the head of the loch just in front of the hide - you certainly didnt need any binoculars to admire his white tail and huge wingspan.

Our buzzard is still incubating her two eggs - I calculate hatching will occur towards the end of the week - we will keep you posted.  The sand martins are now incubating too - our great spotted woodpecker has been delighting our visitors this week, enjoying the peanut feeder at the hide - the siskins are still around too as well as our redpoll, reed bunting and of course the warblers.

Dont forget to come and visit us - the meeting point will remain at the south end of Loch Frisa (Salen/Aros end).  To book a trip call our friends at Craignure Visitor Centre on 01680 812556 Mull Eagle Watch

Debby Thorne

White Tailed Eagle Information Officer, Mull

Parents
  • I know how difficult it must be for you to watch Frisa and Skye sitting on an egg that will never hatch. A pair of peregrines at Eeemsmond in The Netherlands have been doing that for years. One of them must be sterile yet, year after year, they produce eggs and we watch, knowing that they will never hatch. It's one of those times when you almost wish for a territorial battle that ousts one of the pair ...

Comment
  • I know how difficult it must be for you to watch Frisa and Skye sitting on an egg that will never hatch. A pair of peregrines at Eeemsmond in The Netherlands have been doing that for years. One of them must be sterile yet, year after year, they produce eggs and we watch, knowing that they will never hatch. It's one of those times when you almost wish for a territorial battle that ousts one of the pair ...

Children
No Data