As I drove to Loch Frisa this morning, I wondered what the day held in store. The weather looked like it could go either way - either lashing rain or glorious sunshine - I am certainly equipped for all eventualities. As I unlocked the Hide, I noticed something white on the water - a swan!  There have been several mute swans in Salen Bay for several months now so assumed one had come to visit us.

I then squelched my way down to the forward hide, admiring our beautiful orchids, fragrant and common spotted on the way before checking on the chicks.  I am still amazed at the size of them - they look ready to fledge but we still have a while before they make their maiden flight. One of the chicks, looking very soggy was sat on the nest, looking over to Frisa as if to say "does this wet stuff ever go away?".

Whooper swan. Photo by Graham CatleyBoth Skye and Frisa were sitting nearby, both looking equally soggy. It is great when you see them sat so close as it really gives you the opportunity to see the differences between the male and female.  Like most birds of prey, the female is larger than the male, and Frisa has a much paler head than Skye.

I trained my scope over the Loch to check out the swan - imagine my surprise to see it was a whooper swan!  He/she should really be in Iceland - they certainly visit us over the winter but are usually gone by April - either he is very late or very early (or knows something about the weather that we dont).

I had a small group of visitors this morning and decided to take them straight to the forward hide where I knew they would get good views of both adults and hopefully the chicks. My famous words "if we go know we will miss that shower coming up the Loch". 

Sadly, we didn't quite walk fast enough and we got soaked but no-one minded as the spectacular views of the birds more than compensated for our wet clothes!  After that one downpour, the clouds cleared and we were left with a beautiful blue sky and sunshine.  We had a great view of our adults doing their cormorant impressions - sat with wings outstretched drying out their feathers.

This afternoon, I had a larger group and again, the birds didnt fail to please  One woman was so overcome with emotion that as Frisa flew close to the hide, she had tears running down her cheeks. Unfortunately she wasnt able to walk down to the forward hide but Frisa made sure she had a good view - that woman wasnt the only one with tears I can tell you! 

I never fail to be amazed by these birds - the pleasure they bring to so many people who appreciate just how special they are - a quote from the lady today "its our pleasure, but its their world" bought a lump to my throat - how very true.

Loch Frisa from the nest. Loch Frisa from the nest! Photo Alasdair Cameron (Forestry Commission)

I know Mex has reported the terrible news of the golden eagle that was found poisoned at Glen Orchy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8108827.stm 

and http://forargyll.com/2009/06/argyll-sees-golden-eagle-poisoned-in-glen-orchy/

We must put a stop to this senseless killing - if you haven't done so already, please sign our Birds of Prey Pledge and encourage family and friends to do likewise. http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/campaigns/birdsofprey/

Dont forget you can join the RSPB and support our work with the eagles - just click the 'Join now' button  

Keep up with the Estonian sea eagles live sea eagle webcam