Tuesday 16 September 2008. 2050hrs 

It's always comforting to see the chicks again. Despite today dawning wet and grey, it had cleared by lunch time and I headed for the hill where the last sat tag signals had come from. Much to my relief, there was Mara sitting on a rocky hillock with mum Frisa a few metres away. Minutes later in flew Breagha and almost landed on her brother. They looked in good condition, despite the weather; then Skye flew over with a full crop. Clearly they had all fed well.

It probably sounds crazy but at times like this, I can just relax and unwind in the knowledge that they are all well. I can sit for a few minutes, set up the telescope and focus on the birds. After all, that's what it's all about. I can have some quality time to study their behaviour, look at their plumage, watch the wind ruffling the feathers on their head and wonder what adventures will come their way over the autumn. At one point Mara stretched himself out in the heather and lay down. You could only just make out his head poking out of the purple haze. Every now and again, a fly or a bee buzzed around his head and he snapped his beak trying to catch it. Then he'd turn his head to one side and gaze skyward. If I followed his look, I'd invariably find a passing buzzard or raven or, on one occasion, a young golden eagle so high up it kept vanishing into the clouds.

These moments are special but will become increasingly scarce over the weeks ahead. That's why I have to make the most of them now. The days are already noticably shorter and by 7 o'clock this evening the light was going so I left them in peace. There was still enough light for them to find a safe roost for the night.

Earlier in the day, Gordon Buchanan and a BBC crew from 'Autumnwatch' had arrived on Mull to conclude the story of the chicks for this year's series in October. Ever optimistic, we hope tomorrow dawns bright and sunny and that we find the chicks again for them to film. I'd better go and watch the weather forecast. I'll let you know if we succeed tomorrow!

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Dave Sexton, RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Parents Comment Children
No Data