Ok so we're a bit early to celebrate the first landing on the moon by the lunar module but it was 40 years ago today that Apollo 11 blasted off from Cape Canaveral. Our second chick at Loch Frisa, a female, blasted off from the nest over a week ago. Although I've made sure I've heard her each day to ensure she's ok, I just wanted to see her. But she has kept herself well hidden. After what happened to the male chick, it hasn't exactly been the most relaxing time. To be honest I was beginning to get a bit anxious. Until tonight. I finally found her sitting in a tree down by the loch. She looked great. Very alert and calling to Frisa and Skye who were up in the field opposite. Frisa was sitting on the ground on her favourite hummock. At one point a ewe and large lamb walked straight up to her and there was a stand off. The lamb looked like it was a matter of inches from Frisa. They were almost beak to nose. They just looked curiously at each other. What an image it would have made. Frisa held her head at an angle while the lamb edged loser still. Finally she held out her wings as if to say 'that's close enough buddy' and the lamb lost interest and started to graze. I'm not sure either was particularly afraid of the other, just a close encounter of potentially predator and prey but neither acted out their parts.

Finally Skye flew back towards the chick and landed above her. She eventually launched off the branch and once again glided earthwards and landed with a bump in the bracken. The eagle had indeed landed, on the ground - again. She'll get the hang of this flying thing sooner or later.

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

• Thanks Dave - lovely to hear  you've seen your female chick safe and well, with her parents keeping an eye on her!  Next time we come to Mull we will definately stay for longer - so much we didn't fit in this time, though we did see  eagles and otters which were top of our list!

• what a lovely thought, that even in his short life and in death, he is giving so much:)
  • Excellent news to hear she is doing well!! I know i keep saying it, but hope to see you in October Chick 2!!! Like i saw your brother? is Oattie her brother? I am glad the lamb was ok :-) I saved a lamb in Mull in 95, it was stuck in a hole and got it out, and it followed me bleeting  because i touched it and it was so young, since then i said i never can eat lamb again and i haven't , It ended up safe with its mum again!

Heather

• Thank you for quick reply. Totally understand as my son is a scientist and know that some good will have come from his short life.

I see that Debby has been at Loch Garten where they are having problems with their webcam still from the thunder (withdrawal symptoms, especially in fledging time) I look forward to reading her blog when she is back and will be interested to see if she saw any dolphins as well.

Do you read/follow any other RSPB sites like that for their news or are you too busy with work at your own? Jillian.

Reply: I read news from Garten, east coast sea eagles and Aberdeen kites - oh and Helen's blogs from Shetland are good...and...

• Also very releived that IONA or whatever she is going to be called is doing so well in this horrible wet/windy/thundery/sunny british weather. Also very sad still for her brother, especially when I look at the photo of them both.

I know you said you had requested a pm, I am not sure if this is a silly question or whether others were also wondering or whether I am getting too sentimental Dave but will you have him back to be burried at Loch Frisa? Jillian.

Reply: No, after the PM he will be doing his bit for science and research and will be donated to the Royal Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh for their important reference collection. One way or the other he will be helping researchers in the future understand more about these amazing birds. When I collected him, a few of his feathers drifted off across the heather in the winds around Loch Frisa which seemed about right to me.