Weymouth Wildlife centre

Hi, Could someone tell me if the centre is totally finished or if there is more to be done? I have been down but I am reserving my judgement for now as it will need time to bed in and feel right.

• Hope not seems very unfinished to me and £2 plus for a sausage roll ?

• Hi PJ, there are a few bits and bobs to go in (including the front doors!) but as you said it is only just opened and needs time to settle in. There are also going to be a few wildlife activities for kids (and young minded adults) going on etc...

• Jester68, its probably worth pointing out that all of the sausage rolls and filled rolls at the VC are made with free range meat from the Bride Valley, so the animals havent had to travel for miles to be slaughtered, and lived their lives in the fields of Dorset. Also the baker is based on Portland, and makes the pastry and bread dough herself using local flour and NO PALM OIL etc. The cheese in the cheese rolls is animal rennet free. Likewise she makes all of the cakes using sustainable local supplies, try the Dorset Apple Cake its gorgeous. We also stock Purbeck Ice Cream, and Fairtrade, freshly ground coffee. Obviously using local suppliers does mean that the food is a little more expensive than say a Millers pasty, but we feel that its important to source our food ethically, hope you agree.

PJ I think we spoke today and as we discussed the VC is a work in progress, and the team down there are just really starting to humanise the building and put their mark on it. It wont happen overnight, but we are talking about gardening projects and photo's of Radipoles history amongst other things to fill some of the empty spaces. Watch this space, and more importantly watch the VC as it evolves.        

• No worries as I am on a diet anyway and the we spend more time elsewhere as we feel the atmosphere has been lost since the visitor centre has turned into cafe' central, don't worry I am sure others will enjoy it as it's all down to personal taste.

• Jester ----of course Lodmoor always seems a nicer place to us anyway so no need to move far so to speak.

• You could always bring your own sausage roll? The tables inside the centre are there to be used by people to sit and eat their own packed lunch, browse the web (if you have a fancy phone or laptop) and if you want, you can buy some food or drink from the RSPB too (all the profit goes back into all the conservation work we do afterall)

I'd hate to cause anyone to go on a diet!!!!

But in all seriousness, don't feel just because there are tables inside that the building is only to be used if buying something inside because that is not what it is about at all.

It is a building where you can go in and chat about sightings, have a glance out of the window, have a sitdown after a walk, eat a packed lunch (or maybe buy some food and drink inside if you have forgotten your own!) have a chat, browse the web, those of you with a crafty side can get involved with some of the upcoming wild flower bomb/ butterfly feeder activities and come to freshly caught reptile show and tells etc...

I hope that you two (jester and Sooty) and everyone else for that matter can still enjoy the building because we'd all really like you to (even if its just a rain shelter!) and as I said in an earlier forum post, if you have any suggestions that we could think about doing just send them my way and I'll see if we can help out. Because at the end of the day, I want the centre to be a place where anyone can go and find out about how wonderful a place weymouth is for wildlife (and be a little bit smug about how lucky we are)

Hope all that helps.

Rob

• Nothing against Radipole but always do better at Lodmoor and find everything preferable.

• my diet was good until the wife brought me gammon and chips but anyway rob you put over a good argument and I guess some changes take more to get use too, we will see but at the moment i am getting some easier camera shooting at other locations but yes we should all be glad and proud of a place like radipole.

• My ha' penneth. I have been so lucky to work at both Radipole and Lodmoor for over a decade. Both, in my opinion, are incredable, inspiring places for wildlife and for people. The VC is now a DC as retail wasn't working in the tough financial situation we are all in. It can (and I hope will) succeed in its current guise and will evolve... and everybodies constructive comments will shape its evolution. Your comments will not be ignored and we have comment cards in the centre to for anyone who wants to help shape the evolution.

Please don't get caught up in the unsettling emotion of change. I know isn't easy to do... But the reserves are still amazing havens. Food passing marsh harriers in Weymouth Central. Young beardies on the wing. Piggy backing grebe chicks. Fish, bats, birds & much more showing so confidingly from the new structures... It ain't all bad. And IMO the coffee in the DC is great too!!! Bare with us and shape the further evolution please people. Your comments are welcomed - good & less good - but don't give up on us or forget what AMAZING reserves we have here in the beating heart of Weymouth!

Thanks for the feedback folks and please keep the faith.

Nick.x