It's all in the Name . . .

Now,  as you might have gathered, I’m pretty new to this birding malarkey.  I’ve just been watching the BTO video clips  on how to differentiate between chaff warblers and willow chiffs – still some teething troubles there I think. 

But what is really getting my nether-garments in a wad is some of the unfathomable local names for birds.  Last year, while in the Shetlands, we learned the lovely moniker for the  Great Skua from a fellow, visiting birder.  We wondered why he was running along the cliff-path with his binoculars held over his head and shouting ‘Bonxie !! . . .’  We also learned that the name is often accompanied by the phrases ‘look out!!’ and ‘attack’.

I was totally flummoxed today, however, to see on the Portland Obs sightings that they were seeing “Gropper TFs”. 

One of you must me able to tell me, under what name this exotic birdie  will appear in my little RSPB guide book.

And while you all cogitate on this, are there any other local names I should learn?  After all, I don’t want to turn up at the new centre and be the ONLY one who doesn’t know what everyone’s  looking at when somebody shouts out ‘there’s a droopy-winged-marsh-shuffler.’

• Hi PossumDuck

I only joined this Group so that I could reply. I'm not local to Dorset so it's unlikely there's much point in me staying.

I can help you out with Gropper though. It stands for Grasshopper Warbler, one of our summer visitors. No idea what the TF stands for though. This birder jargon drives me bonkers too.

I saw your "Apathy" thread. If you feel neglected down there in deepest darkest Dorset why don't you participate in the main Forum. If you've got something interesting to tell us about or photos to show you'll get much more response.

Here's a link to the Wildlife Forum  www.rspb.org.uk/.../default.aspx

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I believe Gropper is a shortened form of Grasshopper Warbler. An extremely elusive bird with a distinctive song which does indeed sound somewhat like a Grasshopper.

The name Bonxie is also frequently used here in the northwest , much to the confusion of new birders like myself.

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• PossumDuck, after 50 years of playing at this hobby, this is one subject that annoys me intensely (and that is putting it politely).  The birding community includes people just starting, people who are experts, people who think they are experts and the middle of the road rest of us.  I like to think it is a hobby where we all help each other.  It does not help when someone in a hide says 'the spotshank is next to the barwit' or at least it only helps those in a certain category of birder.  It is hard enough for newcomers trying to ID various plumage varieties let alone 'nicknames'. I receive and enter sightings for my local birding area and it is a pain when someone does this  and I don't know what they mean.

My advice is the next time someone tells you they think they have got a Gropper I would advise them to check it out with their doctor.  But then I do know at least one doctor who would know what it does mean.

• Rouzel for Ring Ouzel is the latest to confuse me along with Mipits for Meadow Pipits.

If I saw R. Ouzel or M. Pipit in writing I would probably guess what was meant , but when spoken as one word it's very confusing.

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• Oh, do you know I actually thought of Grasshopper Warbler but then didn't think it would be  because of the TF but I did look through my book for a while which is always good to do.

No, don't go Teejay, and you are so helpful on the main forum too,  the more the merrier, and I, too, joined so I could mainly comment on the blogs and the photos as I do visit occasionally. By the way, we are not down in deepest darkest Dorset, it is extremely sunny more often than not and an absolutely beautiful place to be and I don't feel neglected:-)

• Blimey PossumDuck we now have 6 responses on 3 threads - actually think this is 7 now!

By the way, before I got into birds some 5/6 or so years ago when I moved here to Dorset and went on a Birds for Beginners Day at Arne,  I must admit I had a blinkered image of birders all being very serious and intense but in my experience I have actually found the opposite - the nicest, friendliest people, good sense of humour and only too willing to let me have a look through scopes and very expensive equipment and some can chat even more than me!

Mind you, talking of showing off, it was an incredible experience in the North Hide at Radipole a while ago while watching Kingfishers to hear someone point out the Snipe next to the Glossy Ibis - now you don't hear that every day!:-)

• Just had a chat with a VERY clever friend who said (quick as a flash) – “grasshopper in Top Fields, of course” . . . hmmff

• Nice to see the photo, thanks, Galatas.

• This has got to be a breakthrough Possum, I didn't think we had that many 'watchers' on our forum, I think you might even be 'trending'!!

Seize the day!