Top Bird Sightings

What is the most impressive sight you have seen at TItchwell?

-Alfie Bell

• There have been so many fantastic sights and memories........ from Baird's sandpiper to king eider, five migrating cranes,  six Sabine's gulls in a single group, arctic skua just feet from a bearded tit, four yellow browed warblers in a single day, Leach's petrel in the surf, five thousand gulls on the beach after a wreck of shell fish...and of course not forgetting Sammy.

But....to be on the beach in late October and see wave after wave of tired migrants arriving from Scandinavia, some so tired they ditch in the sea or land on the beach; but even more flying over your head to the safety of the reserve is a privileged and humbling  experience. This is my favourite Titchwell moment.

Keep on birding!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 09/11/2009 03:03 in reply to Dave Hawkins

Hi there

I was at Titchwell Marsh today.  I was lucky to see a Water Rail in hiding the rushes from the Fen Hide windows

Last week Dave and visited Titchwell, and we saw Bearded Tits, and that was something else alll together.

Regards

Kathy and Dve

•  

Hi,

a few highlights:

Seeing sammy in a snow storm - kind of surreal !

Laughing gull to my left and Franklin's gull to my right while drinking tea.

A peregrine hassled by arctic skuas over the sea.

Looking over onto a totally flooded (and invisible)  Thornham marsh one morning and seeing the water only a few  feet below me as 000s of starlings piled in one october morning just after dawn.

A stone curlew in the grass on the back of brackish marsh.

An exhausted female merlin sitting ten feet from the sea watch platform one november morning.

Most frustrating sighting- the rear end of a gull billed tern disappearing over the beach bank and never returning :((

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box