Bird(s) of Prey

Hi there,

About seven years ago I visited South Stacks reserve on a short break and the gulls were nesting on the grounds of the lighthouse.  What a wonderful place it is.  On the cliffs was an RSPB telescope.   I can't remember the name of the bird(s) they were filming/viewing though.  Perhaps someone can tell me as they are probably frequent nesting visitors.  Are there any recent photos of the gulls and fledglings to view on the website?  It would be good if there were.  I found it incredible to walk amongst them.

Twitch, Whitestake, Nr Preston, Lancashire.

• Hi Twitch,

I've been trying to get hold of some pics of fledglings and gulls for you, but have had no response and I'm not talented enough and am too lacking in expensive camera equipment to help you myself! I would recommend www.flickr.com/.../dougshapleynature - these are photographs taken by one of our residential volunteers a few weeks ago...stunning, I hope you'll agree.

Frequent nesting visitors are the Lesser and Great Black-backed Gulls on the lighthouse island, Herring Gulls, Fulmar, our Auk colony (May/June) comprising of Guillemots, Razorbills and Puffins and Chough to name but a few. There was at one time a Peregrine Falcon nest down on the cliffs, so perhaps this is what you were thinking of? They no longer nest there, but we do have a couple of pairs knocking around and we've seen fledlings out and about in the past few weeks.

It is incredible on the reserve and especially when you can get so close down on the lighthouse island. Why not visit again? Our visitor centre is open all year round now too, so you can grab a cuppa and a soup!

Kathy x