Not seen any Puffins yet seen a few Choughs

I have been visiting South Stack regularly for the previous two months. I have yet to see the arrival of the Puffins. However last night i saw my first Whitethroat of the season along with a pair of Stonechats. I have also had some wonderful views of the local Choughs.

• I'm glad you've managed to have some wonderful up-close experiences with our Chough! The Mousetrap pair (who's nest can be viewed on the monitors in Ellin's Tower and the Visitor Centre along with online) have been busy hatching their brood this week. We think we have three or four little ones in there so hopefully this is similar for our other breeding pairs.

Puffins have been knocking around for just over a month now, but you're not the only one that's missed them. As it's been approaching their nesting time we've seen them more more regularly in the morning as opposed to the afternoon, and there haven't been terribley many to see at once. Most days now we are picking up nesting activity on our cameras so I would urge you to keep looking as often as you have chance :)

The Whitethroat have certainly made their presence felt all along the tops of the hedges and the gorse - our current volunteer, Jim, took a cracking photograph of one yesterday morning.

Hopefully see you soon when you come back in search of Puffins!"

• Kathy,

Thank you for your considerate response. I will be making further visits to South Stack to see if i can catch a glimpse of the Puffins. However spent much of my weekend off at Cemlyn Bay enjoying the elegant Sandwich Terns.

• I too went there on my day off. The Terns were absolutley fabulous! It was even worth getting soaked in the downpour.

See you soon then x

• I think I will come down for the 15th after work, then at least there may be someone there to point out any Puffins that might have been seen.

Adam

• The 15th will be a great day as it's our centenary birthday party, as always though our visitor centre and Ellin's Tower will be open from 10am until 5pm.

Hope that suits you.

Kathy x

• Kathy,

I was fortunate to be able to observe a group of three Puffins yesterday afternoon. I was dirceted by two gentlemen in Ellin's Tower. I would like to pass on my gratitude to them and their friendliness (i neglected to find out their names) and thanks for your time and responses.

Adam