More problems at Vange Marsh

Sadly more problems this morning. I see the barbed wire fence has been cut and ripped down and the wooden gate at the second entrance has been destroyed. Thought horses were gone but they had moved to extreme western end.

On a brighter note saw Blackcap, Song Thrush, Wren,  Reed Bunting and Reed Warbler as well as a number of Cetti's all singing loudly. Also Brimstone, Peacock and lots of Orange Tip butterflies.

Dave

• Hiya Dave,

I've just seen this. I noted a lot of fencing damage on the 15th which I reported to the office and more the next day, when a long length of fencing and three wooden posts had been removed, which I again reported. Sorry to hear that the second gate (on the way to the viewing screen?) has been destroyed.

Without being too controversial (and not knowing the fine detail of what is going on behind the scenes!) it seems to be taking for ever and I wonder if the problem will ever be resolved. I read something in the Echo a couple of weeks ago about abandoned ponies. It said that the RSPCA were powerless to act as long as there are signs/evidence that ponies/horses are being fed and watered by their owners.

So where is the evidence that the nine ponies/horses on Vange Marsh are being fed and watered by their owners? I haven't seen any evidence of feeding for over a year now.  The RSPB are providing the grazing/water.  Surely the way forward is to monitor whether the owners are coming on site and if they are not, get the RSPCA in and get the horses taken away.

On a legal note, if all the fences/gates are repaired, can the RSPB put a rope on each horse and remove it off the reserve? If that is illegal, why do it anyway and wait for the owners to take action. At least the owners will be identified and the RSPB can finally take action to stop damage to the reserve and move on with its conservation plans.

best wishes,

Terry

• Dear Dave and Terry

It is regrettable that the situation has gone on for such a long period and a problem that is of high priority for the RSPB South Essex Marshes management. The constant damage caused by the horses and the graziers is an issue that is not only financially costly but also extremely time consuming. With the vandalism happening with increasing frequency, it is felt that constant repair to the gates and fencing is now not an option and will be left until the situation is rectified.

The owners of the horses are known to the RSPB and have been contacted about the situation. Further legal action is being undertaken. The welfare and safe removal of the horses is paramount and the animals’ condition has been monitored by the RSPB staff and will continue to be so.

I understand you concerns fully and also wish for a conclusion to this matter.

Best regards

Marc Outten

RSPB South Essex Marshes - Warden

• Dear Marc,

Thanks for taking the time for an in-depth response.

It's a pity that the hard work put in by the Reserves Team at Vange Marsh has been undermined by this. A couple of people have told me this morning that they have been concerned for their safety due to the horses on the reserve.

I hope that the matter can be resolved very quickly soon so that the reserve can be enjoyed by all without any fears.

best wishes

Terry

• Indeed it is such a shame..I feel sorry for Marc and the others who have put in all the hard work. It must be so frustrating when  even a National conservation organisation seems powerless to act quickly to protect the environment. This afternoon it was almost as if the wildlife felt the same. I didn't even see a Whitethroat ! All the paths are just bare cracked earth. Two years ago I saw a Wall Brown, Grasshopper Warbler and a Kingfisher there. Now it seems like an arid wateland although I am sure it will recover and the damage is more psychological than real. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Good luck,

Dave