West Canvey visit 19 Oct 2010

Called in to West Canvey this afternoon after arriving at Old Leigh just in time to help the team pack up early due to the cold and rain.

Went to the east hide and, despite a grass cutting tractor at the side of the scrape, the birds were still around and the rain held off.

7 curlew, 7 Bar-tailed ( I think, but far way for 100% ID) godwit, one with leg rings but too far away to get a full ID, little grebe x 2, grey and pied wagtail, lapwing, shoveler, teal, mallard, and shelduck (plus gulls of course). Always more than you think when you first arrive.

Bob F

• Bob, welcome to the south Essex community and thanks for your help again this year at our brent goose watch, you are always welcome to help when you can.

• Hi, just signed up.

Had my first visit to West Canvey Marsh today and boy did I enjoy it. The weather was cloudy with some fine drizzle but that didn't dampen my spirits.

I have to say what a gem West Canvey is, as I am relatively new to the RSPB and twitching but am slowly getting the hang of it after 3 years. Today I saw my 1st Brambling which was great for me I also saw.......a nice list now...... Meadow Pippit, Green woodpecker, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Reed Bunting, Skylark, Wren, Pied wagtail, Blue, Great and Longtailed Tits, Wren, Robin, Dunnock Little Egret, Curlew, Grey Heron, Teal, Shoveler, Wigeon, Greenshank, Greylag Geese, Shellduck, Mallard,  Starlin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Magpie, numerous Pigeons and Gulls. All in all a good list from a 3 hour visit.

The only surprising thing was that I did not see one raptor at all. (plenty of food about for them though!!) I had the whole reserve to myself as I did not see a sole until I was about to leave, so a nice and peacefull birdwatching session. You can't beat it :-)

Cheers.

Feed The Birds....not the cats!!!!

I know....my spelling's crap !!

• Robbo

Welcome to the South Essex Marshes community, pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to our reserve on Canvey. It opened in April this year and has proved a very popular place to spend a couple of hours for the local community. Please also keep the bird reports coming in, we keep a log book and sightings board in our visitor centre at Wat Tyler Country Park.

• Cheers Alan.

I am hoping to pay my first visit to Wat Tyler Country Park in the next couple of weeks so will look in to the visiting center.

I had a good birding session at Rainham Marsh two weeks ago where I saw my first Ring Ouzel and my first Whinchat, also caught a glimps of a Peregrine Falcon on one of the pylons.

Feed The Birds....not the cats!!!!

I know....my spelling's crap !!